Remote Desktop using the RDP protocol for Plasma Wayland

Hi,

For Android I use bVNC Secure VNC Viewer to remote the devices.

But it seems to only support vnc, while krdp is the rdp protocol

Good question. I have only tested the Microsoft client, which unfortunately doesn’t work on my phone because it doesn’t support h264 decoding.

I tested aFreeRDP, but it showed a black screen (but xFreeRDP and win11 rdp can be used normally)

There are actually 2 different Microsoft Remote Desktop apps for Android. The current one, which is a bit slower, is active in the Play Store as Microsoft Remote Desktop. The older one, which is faster, is named Remote Desktop 8. I’m guessing only the new one has been tested, so if anyone has time, could you please sideload and test the older Remote Desktop 8 apk on Android with KRdp?

Remote Desktop 8 8.1.81.435 (don’t get the latest 8.1.81.445, as it prompts to upgrade to the New version):
wwwDOTapkmirrorDOTcom/apk/microsoft-corporation/microsoft-remote-desktop/microsoft-remote-desktop-8-1-81-435-release/

1 Like

Tried it. No dice.

The project looks good, thank you for the amazing work!
Wanted to ask about some crucial functionality that seems to be missing, and has already been mentioned earlier in this thread by @alexvoda - support for headless, non-shadowed sessions. The only production use cases I have encountered for Remote Desktop on Linux involve necessity for GUI connections to machines that are running headless, and the remote client is their only user-accessible display (with the virtual console on the virtualisation host (the “seat”) not being accessible to users, and being limited to one session at a time). For now, the go-to solution for that is XRDP (For several reasons, such as encryption in transit, ease of use, and Windows clients that don’t require additional software etc), and it would be really good to have a similar solution that works with Wayland.

1 Like

Hi,

To share || remote my headless devices I use for years krfb && krdc.
(ssh did a good job too :-)

1 Like

I added my current experiences with RDP here. In retrospect, I probably should have just put them in this thread. TL;DR not working at all on Arch, seems to be OK on Fedora.

1 Like