Add Restore Menu Bar to the Hamburger Menu

We see quite a few posts from people that cannot find the menu bar in applications once it has been hidden. I know that depending on the application, Ctl+M, Or Ctl+Shft+M will restore the Menu Bar, but newer users do not seem to know this and we can’t expect them to. Why can’t we just put the option in the Hamburger Menu? It would be easier for people to find it.

1 Like

It’s interesting how everyone forgets how to access menus with the Alt key…

Firefox menu can be invisible, yet Alt+F still pulls up the File menu with shortcuts/accelerators.

I would look to show/hide the menu under a ‘View’ option.

So I guess mostly in the Hamburger menu I’d like to see Keyboard Shortcuts (maybe a nicely populated Help section) and push folks to actually look for stuff.

Also, Hamburger menus tend to differ by application.

We already have an option for this, it’s tucked under “More”:

6 Likes

Wow, I never knew that.

But why would I go all the way down through the Hamburger menu to find More and then get the list of menu items I can access from the regular menu?

An example: keyboard Shortcuts.

Located under S ettings > Keyboard Shortcuts.

So that’s Alt s h. Easy to remember (SH for Shortcuts).

So please, quickly (press Meta+E for Dolphin, then press ‘Alt’ then ‘Sh’).

Now please explain how do we manage this via the hamburger menu without having to use a podgy finger to poke the menu, then move down to the last item, then poke that to get the menu up before moving down to another item to expand?

Mostly off-topic, but I just figured out how to fix the insane nesting of the automatic hamburger menu.

What we have now:

• The top N items from (usually) the File menu
  • 1 item for More, containing Show Menubar and M submenu items with the remainder of the original menu

What we should be doing:

• The top max(0, N-M) items from (usually) the file menu
  • M submenu items with the remainder of the original menu
  • 1 item for Show Menubar

Despite the off-topic-ness of this stuff, it would actually fix the issue that this topic brought up because with these changes, Show Menubar is right there in the main (hamburger) menu’s list of actions.

I was considering to write satire by turning the suggestion around and applying the current organization of the hamburger menu to the horizontal window menu. This would demonstrate quite nicely why the current hamburger menu organization is absolutely nuts. But it took me months, perhaps years, to come up with a way to fix it while still retaining its basic idea.

Let’s make this happen. It can’t be too hard of a change.

2 Likes

Thank you. I’ve seen posts about it here and many other places. As I stated in my OP, I have no problem with it as I have been using it a long time, but for newbies, I feel we can do better.

But why would I go all the way down through the Hamburger menu to find More and then get the list of menu items I can access from the regular menu?

There is no reason for you to do this. If you actually need the actions in the “More” menu regularly, you are strongly encouraged to actually use the menu bar because it is superior in this usage scenario. The whole design of the hamburger menus is meant to push users to use the menu bar if they are regular users of many features of the application.

If you are however happy using just the few features listed in the top level of the hamburger menu, you probably wouldn’t search through the “More” menu just for the sake of exploration.

Many applications keep a menu bar as default because they have too diverse usage scenarios.

Now please explain how do we manage this via the hamburger menu without having to use a podgy finger to poke the menu, then move down to the last item, then poke that to get the menu up before moving down to another item to expand?

The upcoming release will allow opening the hamburger menu or the menu bar by pressing F10 depending on which of the two is visible.

3 Likes

Works great thanks for the post.

Thanks - that’s great news.

It’s strange going from ‘KDE is so wonderful and polished’ to seeing just how many issues that there are - sometimes it seems there are an infinite number of ‘bugs’ to uncover.

"Thanks - that’s great news.

It’s strange going from ‘KDE is so wonderful and polished’ to seeing just how many issues that there are - sometimes it seems there are an infinite number of ‘bugs’ to uncover."

Always is after all it is humans who program all of this, at least for now, and they make mistakes all the time. Even the BS AI hype is just that hype there is no “perfection” in it either, just the same garbage out as went in with the training of it on the trash filled internet.

edit: A perfect point illustrating it, I should know by now not to trust that quote function, it has burnt me more than few times by not doing its job.

1 Like

It’s strange going from ‘KDE is so wonderful and polished’ to seeing just how many issues that there are - sometimes it seems there are an infinite number of ‘bugs’ to uncover.

Yes, as redgreen925 pointed out, that is not just a KDE thing. I can slightly change your quote to apply to life in general:

It’s strange how children go from ‘the world is so wonderful and beautiful’ to seeing just how many issues that there are - sometimes it seems there are an infinite number of faults and injustices to uncover.

If we tried to do less, we would do less wrongs but also have less features, so there is no way to do it perfectly (unless perfectly means “can’t do much”).

After this sentimental speech: Happy new year! :slight_smile:

(if there is new year where all of you are tomorrow)

4 Likes