Apple MacBook Pro 8,1 UK keyboard KDE6/Arch

I’m new to both Arch Linux and KDE 6. I’ve set up the keyboard as a Generic 104 keyboard and the layout as a GB, English (UK), English (UK, Macintosh) and the eject key doesn’t work. I’ve tried setting the keyboard to Macbook/MacBook Pro, but the mapping must be for the US keyboard as it doesn’t match the UK layout, despite me setting the layout to English (UK, Macintosh). The preview option in layout doesn’t work when you set it to any type of Mac. I came from Linux Mint/UBUNTU 22.04 and that correctly mapped the keyboard and the eject key worked properly.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Gavin

Does the system have an optical drive that you’re expecting to open when the button is pressed?

Hi,

Yes it has an optical drive. When I insert a disc, I can mount it and eject it via Dolphin (or by hand in Konsole). When you press the eject key it does nothing, when I was using Linux Mint and Cinnamon desktop, the eject key worked. The rest of the Mac keyboard works properly in KDE plasma 6/ARCH, i.e brightness up/down, sound keys etc…

Thanks

Gavin

Hah, blast from the past! I think it’s been 15 years since I had a keyboard with a physical eject key on a system with an optical drive–also an Apple keyboard. Don’t see a lot of PC keyboards with that button on it these days.

I’m guessing things simply aren’t wired up for this in Plasma. I don’t see a pre-made global action for “Eject” on any component that we could bind the eject key to. That probably needs to get done.

1 Like

That would be fab if you could look into it for me. The MacBook Pro is a 2011 vintage, was sitting in the cupboard with an ancient version of OSX on it, so I decided to re-purpose it for GNU Linux. I’ve gone through a couple of distros trying to find one that hasn’t got a load of unwanted software pre-installed. Being a DOS/Windoze user for 35+ years, I hated GNOME, why have the panel on the Top of the screen FGS??? KDE Plasma 6 meets my needs.

Thanks

Gavin

It’s not something I plan to work on as I lack both required hardware components to experience the issue or test fixing it. But feel free to open a wishlist bug on https://bugs.kde.org about it.