Application menu does not show up unless run as root

I am running KeepassXC on Kubuntu.
At some moment (did not notice, when), KeepassXC started to show up without application menus (“Database”, “Entries”, “Groups”, “Tools”, “Help”).
If I run keepassxc with sudo, it does show these menus.
Ctrl+M (bound to show/hide menus in KWin) just minimizes KepassXC window.

Could somebody please advise on how to get the menu back?

Thank you!

KeepassXC: 2.7.4

Operating System: Kubuntu 23.10
KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.8
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.110.0
Qt Version: 5.15.10
Kernel Version: 6.5.0-14-generic (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 20 × 12th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-12800H
Memory: 62.5 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Laptop GPU/PCIe/SSE2
Manufacturer: LENOVO
Product Name: 21DA000SUS
System Version: ThinkPad T15p Gen 3

Are the missing menus supposed to appear in the app’s own window, or in a Global Menu widget?

The menus are supposed to appear in apps own window.

My first reaction in all those cases of piece of junk app messing up my computer is to dump it and never let it on the computer again. I had to confirm it was what I thought it was. KeepassXC is a password manager which somehow has the method of operation of hijacking the entire desktop to do its job, definitely confirming my first impression of total junk. Bitwarden which I use for this purpose definitely never has done that and just sits back until needed and does its job flawlessly.

I don’t understand this criticism of KeePassXC. I am not affiliated with KeePassXC but I use it and for me it has been solid so far. And I think that a lot of other people in the FOSS space rely on it.

Having said that, isn’t it possible that this is actually a KeePassXC bug and not related to KDE?

@redgreen925 Thank you for your opinion.

Could somebody who uses KeepassXC or is willing to look into why the user difference (root vs regular user) advise, please?

However, please save your ink if it would be just “don’t do it” thing - I am looking for advice on how to make it work, not on how to ditch it.

@funky Could be KeePassXC bug, totally. I just do not have enough information to point to either party, that’s why I started with KDE. I will ask KeePassXC folks, too.

People in KeePassXC chat advised that could have been a KDE global menu panel deified somewhere. Never heard of it before, but started to dig and - indeed - it was a panel on my secondary screen. Removed the panel, the menu is back on in KeePassXC.

1 Like

Makes sense; it’s a somewhat common occurrence. You try out a Global Menu widget and it makes your in-window menubars disappear, then you forgot what you did and wonder why the menubars are still gone.