Bug with the kernel update after installation 24.04 LTS

I had this happen multiple times when I installed the 24.04 LTS Kubuntu and while it ships with the 6.8.0-35.31 kernel, there are a lot of updates right from the beginning and some of the updates being presented to install right away are updates to the kernel version 6.8.0-35.35 and 6.8.0-35.35+1 and after the updates are done, there’s a restart necessary to be done and it will not display anything at all after those updates to the kernel are done. I was able to eventually bypass this by installing the mainline kernel application and automatically go to the latest 6.9.3 kernel and after that was done then, I restarted and it is stable.

at the grub screen, type E to edit the kernel call and remove the parameters “quiet splash” from the kernel call (or just splash may work too).

you can make the change permanent by editing etc/default/grub to also remove those parameters.

then update your grub according to your distro’s method

sudo update-grub on any of the 'buntu’s

this worked for my system

Operating System: Kubuntu 24.04
KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.11
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.115.0
Qt Version: 5.15.13
Kernel Version: 6.8.0-35-generic (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 28 × Intel® Core™ i7-14700K
Memory: 62.6 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: AMD Radeon RX 6800

1 Like

It was just going entirely to a blank screen when those 2 kernel updates were installed, it kept happening multiple times and then I decided to try installing Mainline Kernel before restarting and it was only after the installation of the latest kernel that I was able to actually use the system.