Do kdenlive or its dependencies ever create large (~100 MB) temporary disk-persistent files?

I began using kdenlive since two weeks ago, and since then I notice that my root usage size has grown by about 800 MB. I am pretty sure I didn’t install anything remotely close to that size during that period. This afternoon, I tried some motion tracking practice of a ~20 second-long video (just practice, no heavy editing involved), and after ending that session I noticed that about 200 MB of my root space has been used up. Do kdenlive or its dependencies create temporary disk-persistent files with sizes that can be that big? If so, is it intentional or a bug? It is important that I can locate these temporary files because my root partition currently is 70% full. Judging from how large of a disk space can be taken within such a short time period, if I don’t address it early, I can quickly run out of root space.
My system is Manjaro with KDE and kernel version 6.1.71-1.

Hi @verisium and welcome to the community!

You may want to check the Kdenlive file structure for any stragglers, or look in any of these folders.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. The directories in the first link are under /home, which is on a different partition from the root in my PC. As for the second link, are these folders directly right under /? Searching there, I cannot find any of these folders.

You can check the cached data in general if you go to Settings → Manage Cached Data. Project related cached data if you go to Project → Project Settings → Cache Data.

2 Likes

I looked at general and project caches too, but they are in /home partition. Do you know if any dependencies are creating files in root?

When you run Kdenlive, it has the permissions of your user. As such, it does not have the permissions to write to your /root partition (unless you have a very strange and unsure setup). Maybe you have a swap partition in /root (used if you don’t have enough RAM on your system) ?
Another option is to check which files were recently modified in your root:
sudo find /root -ctime -x (where x is the number of days)
for example:
sudo find /root -ctime -3
To see files modified in the last 3 days

1 Like