Dolphin Remote Conncetion - No Route to Host

Hi,
I’m running Kubuntu on my laptop, and I have two remote connections configured to access another computer over SSH/SFTP, one using the local network name, and one for remote access when I’m away.

It seems when I try and access the local one though today, I’m getting a “No Route to Host” error when trying to browse the location. It works fine from the “external” route, and I can use both KRDC and SSH to connect to the machine with the local name.

It was working yesterday, and I’ve tried rebooting the laptop a couple of times, as well as a full shutdown, in case something just got stuck.

Any suggestions on how I can troubleshoot this please?

If it helps, Versions:
KDE Plasma: 5.24.7
KDE Frameworks: 5.92.0
Qt Version: 5.15.3
Dolphin Version: 21.12.3
Kernel: 5.15.0-101-generic (64bit)

How does the local network name look? Is it a .local address?

1 Like

No, I just use the machine’s name, no dots

Edit: I’ve just tried adding .local, and that works. I’ve just never done that before. Maybe I just start doing that going forward?
Thanks

1 Like

Hard to guess what is going on. Typically local hostname resolution can occur through avahi / mDNS (.local hostnames) or through your router (that acts as local DNS). Both depend mostly on the “server” side, be it the host or the router. The client configuration can affect whether they work or not to some extent.

Usually a ping hostname from the terminal is revealing of whether there’s something amiss or inconsistent wit how the DE behaves.

Surely if it was server side, it would have affected all the other applications (like ssh and krdc).

Interestingly, it’s working again this morning! Maybe accessing through the .local was enough fix what was wrong?

Thanks again