Editing RAW 8K video from Canon EOSR5

I am contemplating a Canon EOS R5 for 8K videos from safaris. www.wootware.co.za i9 with 64GB RAM, 4TB SSD, RTX 4090 16GB.

Will this allow me editing & rendering 8K videos?

OS MX Linix KDE

I am sure your tech specs are good enough. As long as you are using proxies and project monitor playback resolution of 720p or below I would give it a try. For complex sections of your timeline you can always use the preview render function.

As far as kdenlive’s ability to import Canon RAW data is concerned I suggest you check the supported MIME types (kdenlive menu > Settings > Configure Kdenlive > Environment > MIME). I don’t know what file type Canon creates for RAW.

The way kdenlive approaches loading clips is not optimal and the devs know about that and hopefully will fix it as part of the improvement activities. Until then be prepared for longer load times if you have lots of source clips.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your good advice. I can, of course, justify a Thinkpad P Series with 128GB RAM, Linux certified, or I can just choose to downgrade to 4K. How does 8K offer better viewing in 2023, than 4K, in real terms, anyhow?

I think you might want to do a bit of research before you purchase thousands of dollars of hardware if you’re not sure on the benefits of 8k over 4k.

Which is why I am asking here . You just advised me to do what I’m already doing.

This forum is for KDE the discussion of KDE software. There are many better places to find information about video resolutions and their benefits and drawbacks.

You may be interested to read above that the discussion was about the abilities of KDEnlive, obviously on KDE. Strange.