Fatal error: Error while installing package: trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdisplay-info.so.0.1.1

I’m encountering an issue whereby Discover as well as pkconupdate are both reporting the error:

Fatal error: Error while installing package: trying to overwrite ‘/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdisplay-info.so.0.1.1’, which is also in package libdisplay-info1

Just wondering is anyone else has encountered this issue and if anyone knows of a fix?

Not seeing that on any of my systems.

Run apt full-upgrade instead of pkcon to get more of the error message Pkcon hides a lot of this), so we can see which specific package is causing the error. There should be a line above this output that mentions a full path to a package, similar to /var/cache/apt/archives/some-package-and-numbers.deb

We can force the package to overwrite once we can see the specifics, but it likely might not be the correct solution.

Thanks for the reply claydoh. I ran apt full-upgrade and saw the package was related to gamescope, which I recently installed but rarely used. I uninstalled gamescope and everything appears to be fine now.

What distribution are you using?

What source did you use to install it from?

I’m running KDE Neon 6.0.0, a clean install that I performed only a few days ago.

I added the following PPA and installed gamescope from there:

I used this PPA without issue under KDE Neon 5.x, but seem to be having issues with dependencies under KDE 6.

Yeah, that PPA hasn’t seen much in the way of updates in the past year, so it has an old version of Gamescope to begin with. Plus, Gamescope needs some things updated to work with Ubuntu 22.04, and these probably have completely different dependencies that the same things neon updates.

Plus, how do you know the PPA owner is doing things using the “correct” methods and norms? I used to maintain a PPA myself, it was not fun, and I know I wasn’t following packaging standards 100%, though it was only a few packages that were not system libraries or anything, and things Just Worked. Usually.

This may be more appropriate, and a little less outdated, if you find it trustworthy and safe, that is.