Is kdeglobals hardcoded to be removed from non-indexed searches in Dolphin? [Answer: no, but hidden files might be missing]

I have noticed something very strange when using the search bar in dolphin.

I wanted to try to change the MiB by editing a kdeglobals file.
I typed in kdeglobals from within my userspace and to my surprise it found nothing.

I have disabled file indexing and baloo entirely but that should not affect this?

I did some testing and it seems ONLY kdeglobals is removed from searches. If I create a directory called test and a file within that called test the search has no problem finding this file and directory.

I even created a kdeglobals directory directly in ~/ and the search STILL returns “No items matching the search”.

If I search for “globals” if finds the files and directories!

What is going on here?

System:
  Host: bednaManjaro Kernel: 6.7.0-2-MANJARO arch: x86_64 bits: 64
  Desktop: KDE Plasma v: 5.27.10 tk: Qt v: 5.15.12 wm: kwin_x11 vt: 2
    dm: SDDM Distro: Manjaro Linux base: Arch Linux

Edit
To expand on this, I did some more testing and found out the PWD while in search is on a mount, /run/user/1000/kio-fuse-PNfBjo/filenamesearch

I typed to quick earlier, the only thing found when using “globals” was the dir I made directly on ~/ and the file I made within a test dir.

This is what I am supposed to find:

~/ $ find . -iname 'kdeglobals' -ls

8331431      4 -rw-------   1 bedna    bedna          81 Jan 14 17:26 ./.config/kdedefaults/kdeglobals
  8331436      8 -rw-r--r--   1 bedna    bedna        4678 Jan 14 17:26 ./.config/kdeglobals
  3966238      0 -r--r--r--   1 bedna    bedna           0 Aug  9 16:02 ./.var/app/com.obsproject.Studio/config/kdeglobals
  8508006      4 -rw-r--r--   1 bedna    bedna           7 Jan 21 16:01 ./test/kdeglobals
  2686552      4 -rwxr-xr-x   1 bedna    bedna          60 Jul 10  2023 ./iso-profiles/community/lxqt-kwin/desktop-overlay/etc/skel/.config/kdedefaults/kdeglobals
  2686558      4 -rwxr-xr-x   1 bedna    bedna        2866 Jul 10  2023 ./iso-profiles/community/lxqt-kwin/desktop-overlay/etc/skel/.config/kdeglobals
  2686593      4 -rw-r--r--   1 bedna    bedna        3650 Jul 10  2023 ./iso-profiles/community/lxqt-kwin/desktop-overlay/etc/skel/.kde4/share/config/kdeglobals
  8508068      0 drwxr-xr-x   1 bedna    bedna           0 Jan 21 16:04 ./kdeglobals

Is this just me?
Is this intended?
Is there a workaround?

This file is typically in ~/.config/kdeglobals, in a hidden folder, not indexed by baloo, and not searched by dolphin by default.

I even created a kdeglobals directory directly in ~/ and the search STILL returns “No items matching the search”.FYI I am working on adding an UI for this setting.

That seems like a small bug. Did you refresh the view once you created the kdeglobals. Our search can’t dynamically refresh based on changes on disk ATM.

FYI I am working on adding a UI setting for this. It is reported in 364321 – GUI to switch between JEDEC and SI units

What does that even mean?
Are you saying the search in dolphin is not reliable?
Are you saying it is not really a search? (I do not index files, I thought I used a search function?)
If I search a directory, I expected the search to do just that.

Ofc, I have even restarted the whole computer and the files/directories are not showing in a “dolphin search”.
I see it as a HUGE bug, a “search function” that ignores specific files, not very small imho. xD

Cool! Keep up the good work! :smiley:

As @meven said, by default the search doesn’t search in hidden folders, because those folders are typically full of technical system files that are not meant to be interacted with by non-experts. You can break your system if you monkey with the contents of any of the files in those folders when you don’t know what you’re doing.

If you are an expert and accept this risk, you can configure the search to include files in those hidden locations using System Settings > Search > Data to Index: [check the “Hidden files and folders” checkbox]

Wow!
Am I using Windows?

I am honestly stunned. I did NOT think KDE treated me as a user that way, I thought kde was all about complete user freedom.
Hiding things without notification sounds like something windows would do, I am honestly stunned by this info! :open_mouth:

But thank you for the information. Now I have to start looking into what else KDE is hiding for me because apparently I am not trustworthy. This really feels like windows. :frowning:

Edit
So, I do NOT WANT A FILE INDEXER, how do I show hidden files in the search?
Or am I not able to use dolphin search function without indexing my files??!?

You can always open a Konsole and use the find command to get anything you want found there is nothing hidden from you. If you actually care to learn about the system you use and not disparage it for people trying to stop the clueless from destroying it at every opportunity they have to do so. And as always in Linux if you break it you get to fix it, you do have confirmed working backups right …

You’re welcome.

Nothing is hidden; the checkbox is right there in plain sight. I think you may be confusing “freedom” with “convenience.”

You mean like I did in the original post? Let me quote it for you. xD

Exactly, you can see in my last post a picture of how they are marked but greyed out.
Please tell me again how I either find the hidden files OR is informed they are excluded? (switching to “from here” changes nothing)

It’s grayed out because you turned off the file indexer; it’s a setting that only affects the search that uses the file indexer. When the indexer is turned off, then Dolphin falls back to a non-indexed search. I don’t use this, so I don’t have much experience with it, but evidently it excludes hidden files with no way to include them again, as you’ve discovered.

If you don’t find that Dolphin’s built-in search works for your needs and use cases, maybe the standalone KFind app might work better? It’s very powerful.

Thank you, I wanted someone to confirm I am not crazy.

I honestly consider this a bug.
Do you know where the actual config file is so I might find a way to use dolphin search for hidden files without indexing? I could not find anything usefull in ~/.local/share/dolphin/

I have kfinder installed, it’s a great little tool, but not as great as just pressing a button and tyting “kdeglobals” and finding the file immediately.

Now that I KNOW hidden files are excluded, I might as well remove the search button alltogether since I might just as well just use console to search, unless you can guide me to some kind of config file?

Like I said, Dolphin’s internal search seems to not include hidden files. I’m not aware of a way to enable them, short of changing the code (which is of course possible).

So at the moment, I think your options are to re-enable the file indexer and its setting to include hidden files, or else use KFind rather than Dolphin for searching.

:+1:

Thank you for the information!

You’re very welcome!

1 Like

Missed that when replying to your complaing about people who did this for FREE for you and the general ungrateful attitude towards them you display when doing it.

Moderators please remove toxic stuff like above. Adds nothing to the conversation other than this person is trying to trigger a keyboard war with me for some reason.
Please remove, and then remove this post too so it looks nice and clean and I get to thank the developers like I did multiple times in the thread. :heart:

I will keep supporting KDE with money no matter what. :heart: :heart:

No problem if you consider the way he was going on acceptable and not requesting it to be removed. When all I do is point out HIS bad behaviour. Enough of this place.

Reminder to be excellent to one another.

Interpersonal relations go much more smoothly when we are conservative in what we send, but liberal in what we receive. This means not only trying our best to send messages that are kind and give others the benefit of the doubt, but also giving others the benefit of the doubt when we receive a message that seems a bit blunt or harsh to us. It’s a two-way street.

3 Likes

Check out the app KFind, it’ll do what you’re looking for and is purpose tailored for searching.

If you prefer the command line, the program fd is excellent.