Is There Any Way to Reposition the System Tray? Edit Mode does not work

Does there exist a mechanism to reposition the system-tray panel – say from the left side of its bar to the right?

I deleted the Task Manager panel while testing something else, and that caused the system-tray to slide from its original home on the right side of the screen, over to the left. Even after replacing the Task Manager, the system-tray remains justified to the left, and the Task Manager panel now appears to its immediate right ( see screenshot ).

Right-clicking on the bar and entering “Edit Mode” allows me to grab the system-tray and drag it around, but as soon as it is released, it runs home to the left side. “Edit Mode” even pops a message that says “Drag to Move”, but that doesn’t work – as I just described.

I checked in ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc and there’s no positional information for the system-tray found there, so I cannot even edit it manually. No other file in ~/.config/ mentions the system-tray.

So, does there exist any mechanism to restore the original position of the system-tray?

If not, may I suggest warning users before they delete the Task Manager panel that they are about to make an irreversible change to their account?

Operating System: Kubuntu 24.04 LTS
KDE Plasma: 5.27.11
KDE FW: 5.115.0
Qt: 5.15.13
Kernel: 6.8.0-31-generic
Graphics: X11

Thanks in advance.

Do you have spacers in your panel?
You could also just restart by adding a default panel

I have not added any spacers. If any are present, they were original-equipment.

Yer you might need to add one to make it work how you want it to (I might be wrong, bit too lazy to test it out sorry)

i’ve had better luck adding an empty panel and then just populating it with the widgets i need.

also if you configure the icons only task manager there is a check box for “fill free space” you may want to play with.

and while in edit mode the entire panel has a “more options” button that takes you to justification controls and lets you maximize the panel to fill the screen.

Enter edit mode, and drag and drop the tray to the right. You already did that because default, system tray is on the right, same for the clock. Start with the clock first.

As rather clearly described in both the title and the body of the original message, your suggestion does not work.

If anyone has suggestions that have not already been proven useless, those would be appreciated.

If you can enter edit mode, you have to delete the panel. In plasma 5, right-click on the desktop and select add panel, then choose default panel.
Delete the faulty one after.

It turns out that within ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc there is a field called “AppletOrder”. AppletOrder is a semicolon-delimited list of applets, and it controls the order in which they are displayed, from left to right at least, along the bar. I was able to manually edit the AppletOrder – which includes finding each applet’s non-sequential id within the same file – and reset the interface to the default, after none of the various operations within “Edit Mode” worked at all.

So, problem solved, although not particularly elegantly.