Issue with Neon unstable edition and Firefox VAAPI HW decode

Hi all, I’m hoping that I’m putting this in the right section being that it relates to an unstable release. I’m also not sure if this would be called a bug or what exactly. I feel like there might be an easy answer here but maybe not.

Basically I’m testing neon unstable because I want to try kde6/plasmas6. So far it’s working really well and is much smoother and less graphically glitchy on my setup than the Kubuntu that I DD.

I attempted to get hardware video decode working with the Nvidia VAAPI driver the same way I did on kubuntu. All seemed well with the install but then when go to use Firefox it says that it failed the glfx test and doesn’t detect my GPU. The interesting part is that if I log out and start an Xserver session and then open Firefox with Wayland environmental variable it works perfectly. Detects my GPU as Nvidia RTX 3060 and everything just fine.

Anybody have any ideas as to what could be causing this behavior? More than anything I’m just curious to learn more about the mechanism behind this. I feel like there must be a big gap in my knowledge because it doesn’t make any sense to me.

Thanks all,