Kate - Ctrl + Tab from left to right

Hi there :slight_smile:

I did not find a setting, that allows me to change the default behavior of Ctrl + Tab.

That is, going from chronologically sorted to simply switching through it from left to right, according to the tab bar.

Ctrl + Shift + Tab should then go from right to left :slight_smile:

1 Like

There’s not a setting in the Configure Kate... area as the behavior is due to the configured shortcuts.

To change the keybinding for the shortcuts, if you go to the Menu, under Settings there should be Configure Keyboard Shortcuts....

For the version I’m using there’s a search field at the top of the window and you can type the word “tab”, which should show that the Ctrl+Tab and Ctrl+Shift+Tab keys are bound to tabswitcher shortcuts for Last Used Views and Last Used Views (Reverse) respectively.

Instead, you want to use the kate shortcuts for > Next Tab and < Previous Tab and change/set the binding for each.

Something to be aware of is that going to the “next tab” will stop at the last tab and won’t loop around to the first one, so if you want to switch back and forth, you’ll need to bind both.