KmyMoney - Tax Report partially inconsistent

I’m using KMM for many years and I appreciate the simply functionality!
Now I maybe noticed a strange thing on Tax Report.
When I use the report called “Tax Transactions by Category Last Fiscal Year”, I get all transactions on categories with the flag “Include on Tax Reports”, grouped by category. That is correct, of course.
But on the top of report I also get a long list of transactions - no grouped in any category, that do not belong to a tax report at all!
Is it something to be improved in report section? Or do I make a mistake?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestion!

These are the settings of the tax report:

• based on Default report Tax Transactions by Category Last Fiscal Year
  • Rows/Columns
    • Organized by Categories
    • Show Columns: Number; Payee; Memo
    • activated options: Include only Tax categories
  • Filters
    • Text: empty
    • Accounts: all
    • Date: Last fiscal year
    • Amount: empty
    • Category: all
    • Tag: all
    • Payee: all
    • Details: Type: All // State: All // Validity: Any transaction

KMM version: 5.1.2
on: KDE Plasma 5.24.4 // Framework 5.90.0 // Qt 5.15.2

Unfortunately, you did not make a mistake. This has been known for a while (441023 – Tax report shows items that are not tax related) but we have not been able to fix it yet. Most of the transactions at the top of the list either simply do not have a category assigned or the category shows as UNASSIGNED. If you have any other categories that show up on that report but should not, it may help with further troubleshooting.

@ostroffjh, thanks for reply!
In my case there are now no UNASSIGNED categories. But when there was some ones, they was grouped on the top of the report under NOT ASSIGNED; or UNASSIGNED? I do not remember now.
All transaction no grouped and listed on the top are “split transactions”. I have not checked, if every split transactions appears there. But one I have just now tested: I have chosen one of these transactions on the top of tax report (as already written obviously a split one) and changed it in a transaction with only one category. RESULT: it comes no more in the tax report.
Apart from that I did not find any other correlation. This means:
a) some (not all) of these transaction have in the splitting one or more category with the tax report flag.
b) some (not all) of these transaction are related to payees, which (other) transactions correct listed in the tax report.
Please inform me, if you think any other possible correlation to the erratic behavior I can test.

Only transaction with more than 2 splits were listed. The ones that only have two splits were filtered correctly. I added a fix to master.

The same logic also applies to the stable branch but the code needs a few more tweaks to get it to work (e.g. MyMoneyAccount:: isInTaxReports() does not exit in the stable branch but could be easily written - I think).

I confirm it’s fixed in master!

Transactions with only 2 splits are also listed in my tax report.

What does it mean? Can I - as simple user with no programmer experience - add this fix in a specific KMM config file? Where?

What it means is that he added code to fix the problem to the master code respository. It will probably not be in a released version of the program until 5.2 (a tentative name for a future release, hopefully early next year, but no definite schedule.) If you have no programming experience, I would not suggest trying to compile a copy yourself.
Fortunately, if you go to Download and use the AppImage version | KMyMoney, you can download an appimage of the development version. This version will include all the latest code changes - but that means it has some differences from the stable version. Be sure to make extra backups of your data. Some of us have been using this version for many months, so it is likely safe enough, but there are no promises, so keep good backups.

That in fact might be a transaction with 3 splits. Please keep in mind, that if you enter a transaction and assign it a single category it has two splits: one for the account and one for the category.