Media Consumption

What do you mean by “access”? I use yt-dlp myself, but for something else…

Simply put, I don’t watch any videos or listen to any audio in a web browser. My browser is so hardened that nothing like that works :rofl:

yt-dlp enables me to fetch most of that stuff so I can watch it in SMPlayer.

1 Like

speaking of Lightly… Has anybody found a matching GTK Theme for it. My fallback is still breeze

I see, thank you for explaining.

There’s no such thing as a “matching theme” really. But, you can run the specific gtk app using a specific gtk theme. Now, me personally, I want my browsers in a dark theme. More specific, I want to match the gtk theme with my dark colorscheme AND my dark Kvantum theme.
So: 1) Make a color scheme
2) Make a gtk theme. That can be done with Oomox. Unfortunately, nowadays Oomox seems only able to make a Oomox theme. It does the job, but Oomox used to be able to do Arc style themes as well. But for my needs, like say, the brave browser, it works. You then launch your gtk like: Exec=env GTK_THEME=(your-theme-in-~./.themes ) /usr/bin/brave-browser-stable %U
3) You can override a qt app by using QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE=Lightly whatever

1 Like

heh, haven’t looked into oomox for, say like, ages… But a good hint, thanks.

I’ll stick to breeze both for qt and gtk, then, atm. Follows my colour style, automagically. And I can override with custom colour themes kwin rules. I like that :slight_smile:

The addon’s pretty nice, I’ve only used it once or twice.
If I use it, the title bar just looks out of place. If I don’t use the title bar, the minimize, maximize and close button looks awful. I use Klassy to customize the Window decorations because I dislike the default circled buttons in most of the themes.
Firefox without title bar
firefox_title
with title bar & Klassy
klassy

1 Like

Do you know about Kasts? Kasts - KDE Applications. I’m not that interested in podcasts but I heard good things about this app :slight_smile:

1 Like

SMplayer is great - for Music i still use Cantata…i’ve yet to find a halfway suitable replacement after it has been abandoned :confused:

1 Like

Strawberry for music; VLC, Haruna or SMPlayer for video - I swear there are reasons for each.

1 Like

Does anybody listen youtube music? Are there any good applications for it (I mean one that have any advantages in comparison with web-version)?

For youtube music, there is audiotube AudioTube - KDE Applications

1 Like

Yep, I saw it. It doesn’t have connections with my profile in youtube music, so it doesn’t see my playlists or can’t make right suggestions.

Or I missed somthing?

yt-dlp, the best application for anything YouTube related.

He needs an interface for his account.
Btw, did you check out that automated yt-dlp script?

Why? An account is almost never necessary to access the content on YouTube.

No, I don’t need that, I have my own very efficient workflow with yt-dlp. It’s perfect as it is and I’m really, really happy with it.

Then I really like to know how he’ll be able to post content, view likes etc…with yt-dlp.

I thought this thread was about media “consumption”, not about posting stuff to YouTube.

Easy:

yt-dlp <video_url> --skip-download --print like_count
1 Like

Yes, my bad. Topic title should’ve been “what media players do you use”.

1 Like

I guess that’s the busy life of a developer - the major use case you have for a video player is to watch software bugs in action!

I can’t remember how long ago I first started using VLC, but it has a special place in my heart ever since, and I’m glad it’s the preinstalled choice on Kubuntu. I don’t really have much local music, so I use Cider to access my Apple Music subscription and it works really well.