Menu editor and wine apps

I am using Debian Bookworm with a plasma desktop. I have installed wine and a windows app and added a menu item with Menu Editor. When I click on the menu item I am told the program can not be found. If I use the same command in a shell, it works. The documentation for the menu editor seems to be for a previous version as there is a new item “Program” above the “Command line arguments” entry box. Please help me.

It sounds like the app launched by the desktop file is in a location that is not in the standard $PATH variable. My guess is that you’ve modified your CLI shell’s $PATH variable to include that location, but haven’t done so in a way that propagates to Plasma as well, so Plasma’s own $PATH variable doesn’t have it.

To see if this is on the right track, compare your shell’s $PATH variable with the one Plasmashell is using:

To see your own $PATH: echo $PATH

To see Plasmashell’s $PATH: tr '\0' '\n' < /proc/$(pidof plasmashell)/environ | grep -E ^PATH=

I have not adjusted my PATH or Plasma PATH. They are identical.
The terminal command is
wine .wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/ACCUCHEF6/ACCUCHEF.EXE
In the menu editor the Command Line Arguments box has
wine /home/me/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/ACCUCHEF6/ACCUCHEF.EXE
and the Program box I have tried
wine-stable (this works in a different computer)
/home/me/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/ACCUCHEF6/ACCUCHEF.EXE
I also tried the path with single quotes, and double quotes (without the escape)

From the kicker menu I get a bouncy icon but no program starts up.
I am going to try reinstalling to a different directory, with no spaces in the path name.