No login with a wayland session after updating to Plasma

After the update to Plasma6 (today), which went through successfully, I unfortunately have a login problem.

On the KDE login screen it is possible to select the login user and enter the password. After pressing the Enter key, nothing happens. Nothing happens even after waiting a minute.

The screen seems to be frozen, because neither keyboard input nor mouse action is possible.

It is possible to switch to a TTY using the key combination CTRL-ALT-F3 and also back to the login screen. It is then possible to enter the password again, but this also does not enable login with a Wayland session.

With an X11 session, however, a login to the KDE desktop is possible. What do I have to do to log into KDE with a Wayland session?

My Hardware:

$ inxi -b
System:
  Host: neonlight Kernel: 6.5.0-25-generic x86_64 bits: 64
    Desktop: KDE Plasma 6.0.0 Distro: KDE neon 22.04 6.0
Machine:
  Type: Desktop Mobo: Intel model: DH77DF v: AAG40293-300
    serial: <superuser required> BIOS: Intel
    v: KCH7710H.86A.0095.2012.0608.1754 date: 06/08/2012
CPU:
  Info: quad core Intel Core i7-3770S [MT MCP] speed (MHz): avg: 1599
    min/max: 1600/3900
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel IvyBridge GT2 [HD Graphics 4000] driver: i915 v: kernel
  Device-2: Microsoft LifeCam Cinema type: USB
    driver: snd-usb-audio,uvcvideo
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.4 driver: X: loaded: modesetting
    unloaded: fbdev,vesa gpu: i915 resolution: 1920x1200~60Hz
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 4000 (IVB GT2)
    v: 4.2 Mesa 23.2.1-1ubuntu3.1~22.04.2
Network:
  Device-1: Intel 82579V Gigabit Network driver: e1000e
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 8.19 TiB used: 5.67 TiB (69.3%)
Info:
  Processes: 343 Uptime: 33m Memory: 15.51 GiB used: 4.19 GiB (27.0%)
  Shell: Bash inxi: 3.3.13

Greetings
Michael

Out of curiosity, where is your SDDM? tty2 or 1?

The reason I ask, is because on my system, SDDM is on tty2, so is x11 login, but wayland switches over to tty1 after logging in.

If I then switch to tty2 my SDDM is still there, BUT I can not log in, I can only see the SDDM with my password filled in.

So the problem might be that wayland tries to spin up and move over to tty1, but when it fails after a timeout, tty2 is then back to your SDDM login screen.
Just a thought.

SDDM is on TTY2 (STRG+ALT+F2)

@bedna ,
strange, I was able to solve the problem and know why I could not log into KDE with a Wayland session.

The reason was the .bash_profile of my login user. There I start the ssh-agent when it is not running with ssh-add. This of course waits for the SSH passphrase to be entered. This prompt could be seen on TTY1. After I removed these lines from the .bash_profile, I was able to log into the KDE with a Wyland session.

Why the problem does not also occur with X11 session is not clear to me. Something is different when logging in between X11 and Wayland in combination with SDDM.

Thanks for the tip with SDDM, otherwise I would have searched for the error even longer.

1 Like

You are very welcome, I am glad you figured it out.

You are not the only one noticing this:

1 Like

I also got this problem, the difference is that after finishing entering the password, waiting for about 2 minutes (the screen does not display the screen at this time) will enter the desktop (although waiting for so long is not normal), I can’t find any problem

And you are autostarting ssh-agent?

Set up the systemd service as the user in the linked post above.

If not, your issue might be the same as Plasma takes over a minute to load