Original discussion on switching to Disourse

I like Discourse quite a bit with this new platform. Is there a discussion about all the pain points and motivations why we are moving to this platform. It is mostly out of curiosity for me to see what is driving the change.

1 Like

For me phpBB is old and very static, doesn’t work on mobile, etc. Discourse has a nice mobile UI and is much nicer to use.

2 Likes

@sitter Is there a timeline for when this will become available for the general public? Or is it not time-dependant?

There are still some internal todos we have to deal with. Also, from the sysadmin side we still have to render a decision if we want to use discourse.

I understand. Well, thanks for setting this up and letting us try it. I personally love it.

1 Like

I liked phpBB much more. Discourse is way too chat like, which in my experience is not necessery good for the quality of discussion. On the other hand I am just a user so it maybe better for developers.

That’s fair enough, however, phpbb was stuck in the past from my understanding with no recent updates, no mobile device support etc. I don’t think it had user theme options like dark mode, etc.

Discourse saw a lot funding and development over the last decade, so it’s easy to make an argument for adopting it as the new community platform. On the other hand it is a little bit disheartening that forum based communities on the net all pivot to a single solution.

It is accelerating the nobody was ever fired for using IBM discourse effect.

Not all of them: https://linux.org/forums/ I actually really like XenForo despite its nonfree nature.

1 Like

Of course it isn’t ideal, but unfortunately people or companies aren’t really developing forum software anymore (maybe back in the 2010’s) and Discourse is a pretty well supported option.

2 Likes

Flarum is another nice bit of FLOSS forum software but I think Discourse is a bit more mature at this stage.

We did have flarum and other software evaluated when this change was porposed. you can check the discussion here - ⚓ T11675 Create Discourse Setup

3 Likes

The biggest issue is that Discourse does not actually work on KDE browsers because they do not give a darn about QtWebEngine LTS compatibility. First they added a bogus browser detection rule that at least could be blocked by an ad block rule, but now with the very latest version (that is now deployed here), they managed to actually make it error when replying due to another pointless incompatible code snippet that is a PITA to work around.

1 Like

We can report this to the discourse developers on meta.discourse.org and see what they think about it. It is not just discourse that will have this issue other website which will require updated chromium or browser engine will throw this error. may be we should ask the qt webengine people to update the browser?

2 Likes

It’s not needed, QtWebEngine will recieve a major bump in Qt6 (I think they ship Chromium ~110) and I believe that they will be keeping it much more up to date. So once Plasma 6 rolls around the problem will be “fixed” :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Qt6 will solve it :wink:

3 Likes