Plasmoids on the lock screen?

I saw How set on lockscreen? · Issue #6 · Marcel1202/HTMLWallpaper · GitHub today, and it made me wonder whether there has ever been any work toward allowing plasmoids on Plasma / KScreenLocker · GitLab, and whether if there ever were to be, whether it would be desirable and feasible.

Considering that i(Pad)OS recently provided this ability, and Android 14 or so is set to gain it, it seems like an area where again desktop systems are lacking. However, with Wayland making the screen locker finally functional, I wonder whether that might impact any potential effort negatively due to security concerns.

Consequently, is this merely an issue of development time, interest (probably most importantly) or is it perhaps mostly prevented by the current standard system architecture?

1 Like

It was implemented in KDE4 and removed for reason of security and possible others.

I think adding showing not private messages on lock screen could be good, but not (especially) plasmoids. Problem is how to decide if message is private or not.

1 Like

@slawomirlach, even if merely the underlying implementation reused standard plasmoids (albeit solely ones which declared in their manifests supported the lock screen) we could simply reuse the code for the current notification plasmoid, but add a little custom handling for the lock screen to allow the user to show or not show notifications there, like Android allows.

Anything else would be a significant amount of code duplication for little benefit, considering how infrequently KDE Plasma Mobile is used (and thus how infrequently a person genuinely cares about what’s on their lock screen). Not having plasmoids does make that a self-fulfilling prophecy, though.

There’s definitely a use case for at least seeing notifications on the lock screen in Plasma Mobile.

Whether that would ever be extended more generally to arbitrary widgets on the lock screen, I don’t know. I do think it would be a cool capability to have. Yes, you could shoot yourself in the foot with it, but you could also use it creatively to do things the developers never imagined.

2 Likes

I wholeheartedly agree, @ngraham!