Problem with connecting 2nd monitor on hdmi port

Hello, everyone!

I’ve noticed a problem when connecting a 2nd monitor on my laptop with KDE Plasma 6 already installed (with an up-to-date Arco Linux distro). Basically, when it’s connected it will show only the default Plasma 6’s wallpaper, but nothing else. That’s not even my applied wallpaper to the desktop, I have a bunch of wallpapers cycling through at every 2 min, but they don’t show. I can’t see the applications toolbar, nor any widgets. I have another laptop with much the same configurations (Arco Linux, not yet updated, running Plasma 5, with cycling wallpapers), and there everything works fine when connecting the same monitor with hdmi. This behavior happens consistently regardless if I’m entering Plasma with Wayland or X11. Does anyone have any suggestion, or tips? Is this an actual bug, or something still under development or fixes?

Thank you.

Hi,
I have same similar problem with KDE Plasma 6 Wayland. I have two additional monitor, one connect through type C port, and one through HDMI port, they worked well before update to Plasma6. If I connect the monitor use HDMI port, it only work with Plasma6 Xorg, but will be hanged at startup screen. If use only monitor which is connected through type C port, I can use Plasma6 Wayland.
I hope the update to fix this is coming soon.

If I understand your post correctly, you are encountering intended behavior. But intended is not necessarily the same as intuitive.

I don’t know much about how things behave in different Plasma 5 versions. The behavior in Plasma 6 is that if a second display gets connected, and you don’t have a desktop layout configured for that second display yet, then it will give you the default layout. The default layout does not try to replicate your configuration from the first display. Instead, it’s created with the default wallpaper and no panels.

I think the idea is that you already see your tasks in the panel on the main display, so you don’t necessarily need a second panel with the same info. Maybe you just want to use the extra display for more space, and in the worst case the extra panel would be in the way e.g. if your monitor is hanging on a monitor arm above the laptop display. It’s also not clear what panel layout you might want if you’ve already customized it and perhaps pushed it to the left or right edge of the screen. Or if you have multiple panels.

Plasma doesn’t try to guess, instead it starts out with an empty layout and lets you add extra panels. You can add edit mode and add as many extra panels to your second display as you like, with similar applets as the original display or an entirely different set. Plasma leaves this up to you to configure it the way you like it. In the default layout, you only get more space for more windows.

Wallpapers have a similar idea: Plasma remembers the wallpaper separately for each different screen, and it doesn’t try to adopt the original display’s wallpaper for the second screen automatically. There is an “Apply to all screens” switch in the Wallpaper module in System Settings, it only shows up once you’ve connected a second screen. If you use this, you can apply your settings from the first screen to the second screen without much effort. But it’s not automatic, the user is expected to change the wallpaper for the second screen if they’re not satisfied with it. The important part to know is that each screen has its own wallpaper and panel/applet layout.

Maybe this is unexpected for a new user. I think there are some arguments to be made for using the same wallpaper unless the user explicitly wants a different one. I’m not here for these arguments, I just wanted to describe how it works right now, in Plasma 6.0.

Hope that helps :slight_smile: