Questions about UI automation on KWin Wayland

Yeah, I have, and it works fine. One detail I don’t like about it is the fact it has to be manually triggered with a keyboard, but that’s a minor thing. I’m really fond of Xeyes and I am used to it being around. But that’s beside the point – like I said, this is not only about Xeyes (though I really like that application, people think I’m joking, but I’m dead serious), but about the bigger picture, the UI automation and the freedom to not have your desktop block you when you do things it considers unsafe.

Nathan’s explanation makes a lot of sense, though.

It seems someone already did, as a proof of concept, implement mouse tracking for Weston, just to get Eyes working:

https://blogs.gnome.org/wjjt/2012/03/14/looking-around-wayland/

However, one thing is getting it to work, another is getting it accepted officially.

When we discussed this on another forum, a fellow decided to ask on the official Wayland gitlab about it, as expected, his idea was instantly rejected:
Add a support to get a position of mouse cursor (#383) · Issues · wayland / wayland · GitLab

And yes, such a thing is inherently unsafe (and there should probably be a safety check), but we’ve been dealing with such unsafe issues with X11 for more than 20 years on Linux.

I wonder, how does Kwin implement mouse gestures on Wayland? This must be somehow related to the problem of Eyes.

Oh, by the way…

This was one of my first posts on this forum: