Rollback to previous version of Spectacle?

Hi

I finally take time to update my KDE Neon to 5.27
But it seems Spectacle has been updated too and now I’m just unable to understand how to use the new semi-transparent floating UI neither how to made a rectangle capture on the primary screen (only the secondary screen seems to let me a selection) :disappointed_relieved:

After 10minutes trying to make a screenshot, I gave up the idea of doing a screenshot

Is there any way to get back to previous version on KDE Neon?
Appimage or through apt or?

Thanks.

Grum999

1 Like

At least long term this is a bad idea. Eventually you need to get used to new software (UI’s). It’s OK to ask for help if you can’t figure it out yourself.

Short term there should be a lot of ways to downgrade packages. Ask your favorite search engine. If you tried and couldn’t get it to work tell us what you tried and what errors/issues you got. Someone is surely able to help.

1 Like

Not sure why…
I mean, a software to make screenshot is not sensitive part of OS so having a version or another one should not be a problem?

Ideally an appimage would solve the situation but first quick search let me think it doesn’t exists.

Yes I know.
But after 10minutes I was not able to make a screenshot; I understood how to use Natron in less time :frowning:

I feel dumb to ask how to make a screenshot with a software I use from years now :sweat_smile:

Basically, before, I just have to press PrintScr key, and the UI was opened; then I choose the method and just click on the area I wanted to screenshot, and then it was available in Spectacle window and I was able to decide what to do with it.

Now… I’m just lost.
Something happen on secondary screen, visually information is not readable anymore especially on clear theme, like a gamma value is pushed to very high value and everything looks white (so difficult to determinate area to work on)
I don’t understand how to make a capture on primary screen :frowning:

If you have any idea…

Grum999

Ok, I just installed KSnip.
Works like a charm with a UI I’m able to understand in a second :slight_smile:

Maybe better than trying to rollback Spectacle to a previous version; at least easy to install from Discover :hugs:

Grum999

Something happen on secondary screen, visually information is not readable anymore especially on clear theme, like a gamma value is pushed to very high value and everything looks white (so difficult to determinate area to work on)

As far as we can tell, this is a bug in the graphics drives triggered by the changes in the new version of Spectacle. We have an existing bug report for it at 469022 – Selected area bleaches text which ultimately seems to have been an NVIDIA-specific issue.

Do you also have an NVIDIA GPU? And specifically, an NVIDIA Optimus setup?

2 Likes

Hi!

Thanks for your feedback!

Here my computer spec:

Operating System: KDE neon 5.27
KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.105.0
Qt Version: 5.15.9
Kernel Version: 5.19.0-41-generic (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 24 × AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor
Memory: 62,7 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: NV136 --> NVIDIA Corporation GP106 [GeForce GTX 1060 3GB] (rev a1) 

Looking the bug and attached screenshots, this is the same case yes
No NVIDIA Optimus setup (Only GC on the computer)

Also I’ve updated my laptop too, from KDE Neon 5.27.3 to 5.27.4 (then using last version of Spectacle)
CG is a intel and the “gamma effect” is not here, Spectacle can be used properly (even if I’m really not comfortable with new UI, I can see it and use it :slight_smile: )

Grum999

1 Like

Yep, sounds like the same issue indeed.