State of development

First of all: thanks for expressing your concerns. This is valuable input for the team.

It may seem that development is proceeding a little slower than in previous years. I completely agree with you. There are many reasons for this and they have already been identified and mentioned: first and most prominent it’s manpower (we currently have 2 major devs working on KMyMoney and the underlying Alkimia library plus some occasional contributors) plus on an individual basis and unrelated to the project jobs, families, other activities, to name but a few.

The new CI/CD system from KDE has also caused us a few headaches recently. Again and again, due to changes made by third parties, analyses and corrections have been necessary in order to build the AppImages and Windows version. The MacOS version is still broken and I have no idea how to get it right. Nobody has yet responded to various requests for help who would like to take on this task and maintain it.

The focus lately - at least for me - has been on getting/keeping the master branch stable and fixing bugs, precisely so that we don’t get into a situation where we can no longer trust the software.

I have been using the master version exclusively for my own purposes for some time now. As far as fixing problems is concerned, this is often not easy, because the behavior is often dependent on the personal data, so that a reproduction based on the error description does not always work, making a prompt correction almost impossible.

This post here on the forum may serve as an example where we were really lucky to recognize the actual cause.

In handling the issue reported by Koos, there was also an unnecessary communication problem introduced by me: I had the impression that the problem had been solved. I had created a test file, but was unable to reproduce the problem. I then wrote to Koos directly, as personal data again plays an important role. I received and answer and hope that we can solve this together in the near future.

The reports are another area of diverse problems. We are aware of them. However, the reporting engine would have to be completely revised. But before we tackle this, we want to create a new stable version (based on the current master version). We also have in mind that we will have to port to Qt6/KF6 at some point in time. Some KDE developers have already done some preliminary work on this, so we hope that this will be one of the next major milestones and don’t take too long. On the other hand, if we don’t tackle this in time, support from the KDE CI/CD system for Qt5/KF5 will eventually be dropped and does no longer exist. Then we will have unnecessary problem areas again.

In summary: the project is alive, it is moving, albeit in small steps that are sometimes not visible from the outside.

Before I close, I would like to take this opportunity to mention the extremely valuable work of Jack, who signs responsible for updating the manual. He also answers questions e.g. on the BugTracker, the forum or the mailing list. Plus all other contributors not mentioned here but certainly recognized by the team. All small but important things that happen unnoticed in the background.

4 Likes