Swapped AMD gpu into new build and it is not recognized by kde

today was the day to swap GPUs from my old machine to the new machine.

the new machine has been working with my old nvidia GPU while i built the new system and installed kubuntu 24.04

after making the swap the GPU fans turn, but the OS says it’s using the onboard graphics rather than the GPU (even tho the monitor is attached to the GPU display port.

here is the system info

Operating System: Kubuntu 24.04
KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.11
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.115.0
Qt Version: 5.15.13
Kernel Version: 6.8.0-35-generic (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 28 × Intel® Core™ i7-14700K
Memory: 62.6 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: llvmpipe
Manufacturer: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
Product Name: MS-7D27
System Version: 1.0

kind of stumped because normally this would just work … i was only using the free graphics drivers for the nvida, no proprietary was installed

also just checked lspci -k

and this line does show up in the output.

03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Navi 21 [Radeon RX 6800/6800 XT / 6900 XT] (rev c3)
        Subsystem: Sapphire Technology Limited Pulse Radeon RX 6800
        Kernel modules: amdgpu

bumping this with an update.

have swapped the AMD back to my old machine to verify that it is working, it is.

returned it to the new machine and tried windows again but this time installed the adrenilin experience (driver and bunch of bloatware)… after some rebooting the AMD card is working with windows.

so then i tried linux again, and it still keeps getting hung up at around debug code 33 on my MSI motherboard and would only boot to using the iGPU when i used the recover menu in grub to repair broken packages.

booting from a LIVE USB works as expected, so i re-installed the whole shebang.

everything was fine until i allowed the 129 pending updates to proceed and then tried to reboot again… right back in the same boat.

anyone have any idea what is going on?

bumping this again with another update: SOLVED!

at the grub screen, type E to edit the kernel call and remove the parameters “quiet splash” from the kernel call (or just splash may work too).

you can make the change permanent by editing etc/default/grub to also remove those parameters.

then update your grub according to your distro’s method

sudo update-grub on any of the 'buntu’s

this worked for my system

Operating System: Kubuntu 24.04
KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.11
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.115.0
Qt Version: 5.15.13
Kernel Version: 6.8.0-35-generic (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 28 × Intel® Core™ i7-14700K
Memory: 62.6 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: AMD Radeon RX 6800

i think the reason for this is issue is due to how much faster the new GPU is compared to the older one (which did not have this issue)… something about the splash trying to be displayed too quickly causes the crash (at least that’s the rumor).