Tooltip info not complete when file on network drive

I am running OpenSUSE Leap 15.6 with KDE Plasma 5.27.11.

When I hover over a MKV file that is located on a local drive like USB of HDD the full info of the file is shown. Size, type, dates, dimensions, etc.
But when I do the same on a network drive (connected using Samba/Cifs) I see only the type, size and dates.

Any suggestions?

I don’t use tooltips, but I assume they work like previews, in that Dolphin has limits for generating previews that depend on the file size, and you can set different file sizes for “remote” drives vs. local drives.

Here’s the Dolphin configuration dialog for that:

At the bottom you can set a different limit for local or remote drives, where the default for local is “No limit” and for remote drives 15MB - which is smaller than most video files.

The reason is that to generate the preview (or the fully detailed tooltip) Dolphin has to read the entire file (almost always) and for a remote drive that could be slow or expensive, so by default Dolphin will only do that for small files. But you can change that if you want to.

Changing the “15 MiB” to “1000 Mib” made no difference.

I just found out that it works fine on my VM.
I have a VM (from KVM) running Leap15.5 on top of my 15.6 system.
And I pass the network shares to this VM via the VM’s xml file.
In the VM I mount them as virtiofs shares.
There I see the info of all MKV file without any problem.
So, it seems to me it is either a Samba or a Leap issue.

I suggest you look into changing samba to NFS.
That way your system will treat the network mount as a local mount (not really, but for you it will work like that), just like your usb sticks for example. :slight_smile:

Changing samba to NFS made no difference.
I searched for a difference in the dolphin settings between my system and my VM but no luck.

I’m pretty sure there is.
How did you create the NFS share on the server?

I don’t think it has antyhing to do with your dolphin settings, it has to do with how the mount is created.

I have enabled NFS on my Synology NAS.
Then used : sudo mount -t nfs 196.168.x.x:/volumeX/test /mnt to mount the share. (Of course with my IP and volume/share name).
Then in Dolphin I could see /mnt and all the files in it.
But mouseover info was the same for the Samba mount.

Looks correct.

Is there any way you can see how the server is setup on the Synology NAS?

I feel this might have to do with the settings.

Edit
I don’t know how that NAS works, if you can ssh to it, maybe it is in /etc/exports?

It’s actually quite simple.
I followed this tutorial on the Synology website : DSM/tutorial/How_to_access_files_on_Synology_NAS_within_the_local_network_NFS
And on that page there is a link for settings the permissions.
And the fact I have full access to /mnt seems to me its ok.

This is the mount info : 192.168.2.5:/volume1/DVD_0-J on /mnt type nfs (rw,relatime,vers=3,rsize=131072,wsize=131072,namlen=255,hard,proto=tcp,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec=sys,mountaddr=192.168.2.5,mountvers=3,mountport=892,mountproto=udp,local_lock=none,addr=192.168.2.5)

That is on the client side as the looks of it.
What I was curious was how the nas set up the nfs share, you can do it in a lot of different ways.
For example:

/mnt/share 192.168.x.x(rw,no_root_squash,insecure,async,no_subtree_check)

Where the ip is the client ip. (I am NOT saying you should use this line, it was just an example)

I thought it might have to do with it.
But maybe it has to do with something completely different.

Edit
There is also a version of nfs4 out, you are using ver 3, maybe there is an update on the nas?
But that most likely has less to do with your problem though.

This is mount info on the NAS after ssh login.
/dev/mapper/vg1-volume_1 on /volume1 type ext4 (rw,relatime,journal_checksum,synoacl,data=writeback,jqfmt=vfsv0,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group)

Entry in /etc/fstab:
/dev/vg1/volume_1 /volume1 ext4 usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,synoacl,relatime 0 0

Yeah, your nas is doing the good thing and symlinking. :slight_smile:
The line I gave above would not.

Since you are on ssh on the nas, do a cat /etc/exports and see what that returns, maybe there is something you could change in the creation.

I’m sorry, I am at a blank here.
To me it should work the same.
With a cifs I would not be surprised, but with an NFS it really should not matter.
Try adding sync to the mount options of the server, could be something silly like that.
But I’m really out of ideas. Sry.

Ok, thanks for the help anyway.

The thing I find most curious is that it works in my VM and not in the host.
They access the same share…

Witch is why it makes me suspect it has to do with the mount and I was curious about how the server was setup. :slight_smile:

You can always compare the mounts on the 2 systems line for line if you haven’t already. Should still give you an idea even if they use different protocols.

/etc/exports on NAS
/volume1/DVD_0-J 192.168.2.1(rw,async,no_wdelay,crossmnt,root_squash,insecure_locks,sec=sys,anonuid=1024,anongid=100)

I found why when works on my VM.
If I mount the share using cifs it doesn’t work.
If I mount the share using virtiofs it works.

I just realized it does not work for me either, because I never use the function of “mouse over”.
I think you found a bug sir, because:

I thought the “mouse over” was the same as pressing F11, info window, it’s the same info stuff right?
BUT, If I right click, and select properties, there is no tab called “details” on the NFS mounted location.
But if I copy the same file to a local hd, the tab appears.
But the F11 works on BOTH locations!

The video preview thing where it starts playing when holding mouse over works the same on both, so it is only the right click (and your mouse over thing) that does not work.

But I think it also has to do with the mounting since on my VM it only works with virtiofs.

If you find out why, I would be VERY grateful, and could also be helpful if we want KDE to do something about it. :slight_smile:

If you do figure it out, it is very much report-able on bugs.kde.org

I keep on looking for a couple of days…

Does not work:
//ds1511/DVD_0-J /ds1511-1 cifs user=ed,password=xxxxxxx,uid=1000,noacl,file_mode=0666,dir_mode=0777,iocharset=iso8859-1,rsize=16384,wsize=57344 0 0

Works fine:
ds1511-1 /ds1511-1 virtiofs defaults 0 0

As a new user I am at my limit of the day. (no more new message).
An error occurred: We appreciate your enthusiasm, keep it up! That said, for the safety of our community, you’ve reached the maximum number of replies a new user can create on their first day. Please wait 20 hours and you’ll be able to create more replies.

What strange is:
I mount a share on my NAS using cifs.
I pass that to my VM.
There it is mounted using virtiofs.
So, the end connect to my share in fact is cifs.

I mount the network share via samba to a local drive. Just like I mentioned above under does not work.

1 Like