We need a new Akonadi for Plasma 6

I mean… I guess most people will use Firefox and Thunderbird and not Falkon and KMail. And thats totally fine.

I think KDE really shines in other software like

• Dolphin
  • Spectacle
  • Gwenview (has the potential to replace old proprietary XNViewMP)
  • Krita (?)
  • KDEnLive
  • klipper
  • krunner
  • the desktop, kwin, all that

I guess that Thunderbird in a company could be harder than something actually integrated? But I dont know.

Yup agree Google and Microsoft are free to implement their code into KMail so that Linux (!) Users can have their messages scanned if their company is unable to run an own mailserver (lol) but for some reason everyone uses KDE.

What company does that?

Good point – KDE / Akonadi / KMail / Merkuro are, AFAICS, as far as PIM is concerned, more than acceptable solutions but, there are issues with Alphabet and Redmond …

• Looking at Redmond – the “inbuilt/delivered with” Windows Mail will be phased out next year – licensed Windows users will have to pick up the successor – a licensed Outlook clone …
    Or, move to Thunderbird on their licensed platforms …

• Looking at Alphabet – licensed Android pocket telephone users will be stuck with the “App” …

Yes, please, Alphabet and Redmond –

• Is it really gong to hurt if, you contribute to the KMail code-base?

Mine? :slight_smile:

Seriously, and sorry for the off-topic, but for a long time at my day job (a web hosting company) we used exclusively Kubuntu on all of our desktops: IT, sales, marketing, customer support, finance, HR, etc

Sure, there were some hiccups but 99.9% of the time people did their work with no issues. Some even started using Linux and KDE at home!

OK, I lied: there was one sole designer at the company and he used Windows.

Then we started growing, hired more people, started providing Windows hosting, so Windows started showing up more, even a couple Macs.

But still today, I’d say we’re 80% Linux on the desktops, and of that it’s 95% KDE.

11 Likes

Damn, thats pretty cool

From a promo point of view it would be great to have more case studies/interview from such companies using kde for work. If you are interested feel free to drop an email to kde-promo@kde.org

3 Likes

I don’t think we need a new akonadi for plasma 6.

I’ve been using akonadi since KDE 4 and I’ve had my share of problems. I needed to delete everything to get back on a healthy basis.
Unfortunately Akonadi starts by itself, or not, creates files without being asked and makes a mess of things.

In my experience, this is an interesting and innovative idea, but it’s badly implemented

In my humble opinion, akonadi is a developer’s dream that can only turn into a nightmare for users.

It should have been :

• either akonadi doesn’t do anything on its own and that could work. An experienced user could create their configuration by hand using a text editor (such as Mutt).
  • or akonadi does everything, in magical autoconfiguration, for example using akonadi-kcmin a way similar to thunderbird. the user has no scope for customisation apart from the name and colour of folders and calendars.

I think Kde-Pim should get rid of akonadi and go back to KISS software that does one thing well. Kpart and Dbus are there to make them work together.

Maybe, KCM-users could be modified to allow all accounts, directories and files to be created centrally, rather than application by application.

Finally, for the last 10 years, the only application spared from criticism has been akkregator, which is also the only application integratable with kontact that has not been converted to akonadi. A clear sign.

I use Gmail and when I used KMail it was actually really reliable, despite the fact that Gmail does things very differently: while your traditional email will typically use folders to separate content (maildir), Gmail uses tags.

Ironically, despite the fame I used to see on Reddit, it wasn’t uncommon for GNOME Evolution to break with my account.

Having read about Akonadi’s history in the repos, though, it seems it was originally monolithic and it got split up over time with the promise of modularity and maintainability, which it does achieve AFAIK. I wonder if things haven’t gone too far in the other direction? Evolution Data Server is also split up, but not into more than 5 projects. We have 35.

I wouldn’t do such a list, it might not stand the test of time. Kmail/Kontact was a great PIM before Akonadi arrived. Gwenview seems to disintegrate for me currently. Krunner too.
EDIT: Klipper is also long gone. Replaced by org.kde.plasma.clipboard plasmoid.

Another example, Balloo, never worked for me. I simply hord to much files (and also mails) for things to work smoothly. As I don’t use Balloo to search for files it only makes me do extra work by marking folders for it “to not look into” to not hog all ressources. So I just disable it completely since it’s introduction years ago.

Currently it’s a gamble for me if Kmail opens a mail or not. Even if opening a mail worked, answering maybe not because it has to load the mail again for this to work. I have mails dating back to 2006 and my Akonadi folder is 3,1G. Only one account, self-hosted dovecot IMAP (works for everyone else using it), no Gmail or Microsoft server.

I’m suriously disappointed about the state of disrepair. And maybe the 2-3 other people and me crying about Akonadi and Balloo are actually outliers. But it reliable does not work for me without problems popping up randomly. I already switched to mbsync and neomutt for work. Will do the same for private soon.

I want to like KDE since 2004 and I like Qt. I loved the idea of having a semantic desktop with NEPOMUK back than. Today I’m just disillusioned. I prefere simple things now which actually just work.

1 Like

There seems to be a bigger issue than Akonadi, if regular applications don’t work anymore :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I attribute this to new features. Gwenview and Krunner, like many other KDE apps, are constantly evolving. Krunner has a ton of modules today. I have a ton of pictures and other not well sorted files lying around everywhere and Gwenview used to handle this well. Now it’s regressing (being laggy or even crashing). :man_shrugging: I use qView as my default image viewer now.

Disclaimer: this is a combined experience from using KDE on multiple different hosts. I noticed it to run better on, let’s say a laptop having only 2 TB storage filled up mostly with mp3s, which I also don’t use very often. But having a bad experience on one PC is often enough to leave a bad impression of the software overall. I also should say that I use Arch and therefore maybe had some unstable releases of KDE in the past (if stable ones even exist) and my configs are also very old and may tend to produce buggy behavior one would not encounter having a fresh home directory. I once had to edit a kwin config because I used a value for a setting (set by KCM UI) which was phased out later but there wasn’t any way to change it anymore in the GUI. Was lucky to find out relatively quickly why kwin suddenly refused to start.

Hm, I actually gave baloo a second chance. Restricted its scanning to very few folders I actually want to search, Nextcloud, Downloads, unencrypted documents e.g. and it works pretty well! Enhances the plasma search so much.

Haha “only 2TB”. This targets your use case pretty well.

Hello,

interesting discussion. Focusing on the tech giants (Google, Microsoft, etc.) is absolutely counterproductive for an open-source ecosystem. I would consider KDEPim/Akonadi as part of such an ecosystem. Most users aiming for a groupware solution with KDEPim have clearly opted against solutions from the major closed-source providers.

We operate Open-Xchange installations at several locations and have integrated Kontact with it:

Email: IMAPS/SMTPS
Calendar: CalDAV
Contacts: CardDAV

And it runs very satisfactorily. The setup can be a bit rough at times, and nobody could ever tell me what the Akonadi agent “Open-Xchange” is good for. Whatever I entered there never seemed to work.

But let that be. With the aforementioned combination (IMAPS/SMTPS/CardDAV/CalDAV), it works well.

Now we also wanted to use shared notes. The fundamental problem is that OX does not offer this functionality. And the KDEPim component KNotes does not allow integration with Nextcloud Notes. At least, this was the result of many hours of research.

This is not a problem for us since the notes do not necessarily need to be in the context of the rest of the groupware data. So, we use QOwnNotes for this purpose, which syncs through our Nextcloud instance.

It’s different with the journals in KOrganizer. We would also like to use these, but we haven’t found a way yet to get KOrganizer to use a remote calendar from OX when creating a new journal entry. This option is not available when creating a new journal entry, even though it exists.

All in all, the system runs well, and we are headed in the right direction.

with best
pixel24