Where is (Dolphin) timeline data stored?

I have made a fresh install of KDE Neon a new laptop. I have copied over only selected directories from my old laptop, including /local/share/local-mail (in order to retain my old emails). I was wondering how I was going to be able to also copy over the timeline data that I can see in Dolphin, and was surprised to see that (as far as I can tell) it’s already there. Can anyone tell me where this data is stored? I wouldn’t have thought it was in /local/share/local-mail, but I can’t work out what else I might have copied across that might have held it.

Thanks and regards

timeline:/ is provided by the Baloo file indexer.

meven,

Thanks for your reply.

So will baloo will have rebuilt the timeline from scratch? If so, how does it know the dates on which any given file was accessed, given that (as I understand it) the file attributes contain only the dates the file was created, last modified and last accessed? Even if baloo remembers each time a file is accessed, it presumably won’t have this information when the file is copied on to a new installation.

Thanks again and regards.

P

The answer is in the question.

When files are copied, their attributes are copied too, only the creation time is edited in such cases.

Hi meven, I understand that the attributes are copied across with the file. But do the attributes contain all the information that we expect to see in the timeline? I thought the attributes contain only the creation, last accessed and last modified dates, whereas the timeline shows every date on which the file has been accessed (or possibly just modified), not just the last occasion. If so, surely just copying the file, with its attributes, wouldn’t have all the information we expect timeline to provide. Clearly, I’m not understanding something!

I see, I misunderstood what you said sorry.

Yes, baloo keeps historical data, stored in its database in ~/.local/share/baloo/ you can use balooctl indexSize to get detailed stats.
If you copy this folder over it should be picked up.

Data in Recent files / Recent folders are stored in ~/.local/share/kactivitymanagerd, you might want to copy this one too.