Which graphic card for wayland and multi head?

Hi there, my desktop has an old GeForce GTX 660 Ti installed, with 3 monitors plugged in. This card won’t run with wayland and I am thinking about getting a new card.
The PC is used for office, coding and streaming, no gaming.
So, what would be your recommendations?

I run 4 displays on an AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT.

Both X11 and Wayland work like a charm.

If you don’t game, I would advise you to take a look into AMD’s GPU offerings.

1 Like

Well, if you look at all the gaming benchmarks for Linux on www.phoronix.com you can see that in some games AMD performs a little bit better than Nvidia and in some games it is vice versa.
So no reason to not buy AMD

1 Like

Unless you plan to do any AI “work” or gaming, there is really no reason to select hardware that does not have drivers in the kernel.
Go for amd.

1 Like

If explicit sync lands on KWin this summer, will my GTX 660 Ti work with wayland then?

Hopefully.

But then, this is a very old card and I do not know how the actual protocol works.
But hopefully it will work on both all open source and the nvidia470 (that you should use on that card if you use proprietary drivers).

1 Like

Only if it’s supported by version 555 (IIRC) of the driver. I think NVIDIA dropped support for a lot of old hardware so it would be good to check whether that particular card is supported.

But yes, I too recommend Intel or AMD as in-kernel drives make for such a smoother experience.

1 Like

unfortunately, it uses the nvidia-390xx driver. So, I guess I’ll get me some radeon as @rodrigopedra recommended…

Thx for all your answers…

1 Like

Well, the Intel Arch A750 is only US$250 and has 4 DisplayPort outputs and in-kernel drivers.

It won’t run Doom at 4K (not well anyway) but it will do a lot of mid-level gaming and video encoding quite well. It does cost a few $ more than an RX6600, but gives about 30% more performance.

1 Like