Adventures in Remote Desktop

Hello all, with the advent of Plasma 6.1 and the (very exciting) new Remote Desktop feature I thought I’d take a look at how well it works… So without further ado, here are the results!

Fedora 40 KDE Spin, Intel iGPU:

• Connecting with KRDC: Works! I can see the remote desktop. It’s pretty choppy by default, but changing the quality slider helps.
  • Connecting with Windows Remote Desktop: Does not work. “An internal error has occurred” on the remote client. Error code 0x4. I can see the remote server screen at the time of connection but can’t proceed.

Arch Linux, existing install, AMD GPU:

• Connecting with KRDC: Does not work. “An error has occurred”.
  • Connecting with Windows Remote Desktop: Does not work, in the exact same way as above. Additionally, a pop up appears on the remote server requesting access to share the screen.

Arch Linux, fresh install, Intel iGPU:

• Connecting with KRDC: Does not work. “An error has occurred”.
  • Connecting with Windows Remote Desktop: Does not work, in the exact same way as above. Additionally, a pop up appears on the remote server requesting access to share the screen.

This feature is a great addition, and I’m excited to see it worked on! Fingers crossed we can get it working on all distros and start getting close to Windows’ superior remote desktop experience.

1 Like

Update: I saw there was an update for KRDP 6.1.1 available on Arch, so I installed it on my Intel iGPU system. The system now fails more clearly: When connecting from a Windows client, the screen is not viewable at all, and the pop up on the server requesting access to share is no longer present. There is still no ability to properly connect to the server.

99% of RDP issues boil down to ensuring that Windows computer is on private network connection.

Public network doesn’t work by default.

You also need to enable remote desktop on Windows client and you also need to have inbound firewall rules in place to allow connection.

1 Like