Copying files with dolphin results in messed up permissions in containers

I have a podman container that i use for web development. I usually have it running while i have a directory mounted as a volume to the container where on the host i can just grab files and copy them as i work. Today I found out that if I copy files with dolphin, it results in the container not seeing permissions properly. It shows up as ???

If I copy files with cp it works fine. I am not sure when this broke, but I know that it worked at some point, but if someone can please confirm if this is indeed a bug, I would appreciate it.

I am on plasma 6.1.0 on bazzite

here is a screenshot:

I am working with an astro project with the blog template. I copied tako.jpg, svg, and png with cp, and the permissions are okay. Doing the same with dolphin with image.webp and that results in unknown permissions.

When you copy files with a host process (like Dolphin, and presumably a cp command in shell on the host), the resulting files will have the same UID and GID of your user account on the host. Inside the container, that UID is probably not mapped to anything therefor you see the question marks in the user name field.

I’m surprised by your claim that cp does not behave like that - are you running cp in the host?

BTW for development inside containers it is highly recommended to use distrobox, which was built for that kind of setup and runs the shell inside the container with the same UID and GID of your actual user, as well as maps your home folder into the container - which makes development much much easier.