Kdenlive 23.08 does not see NFS file systems

Just upgraded kubuntu to 24.04 (from 22.04). Was required to install the newer version of kdenlive (23.08). Kdenlive is now unable to “see” the NFS mounts (where all projects, video/audio files are stored).
There were no issues with the previous kdenlive version.

NFS is working good with everything else, except for kdenlive. I could not find anything in the kdenlive setup/configuration areas… as well, I did not find much of anything searching the web for this issue.

Any thoughts/direction/ideas on how to get kdenlive to see NFS mounts on my linux PC?
Thanks!

Are you sure about the Kdenlive version? The latest is 24.08 (just released a few days ago).

It’s possible Kdenlive 23.08 (or later) has transitioned to KF6, and KF6 has discontinued NFS support in KIO.

I guess you should mount the NFS share on your system and access it with Kdenlive as if it was a local file.

My apologies, you are correct… the version installed is 24.02 I selected the “snap” installation using kubuntu’s “Discover” GUI.

To be more specific about the NFS issue, when I right-click in the Project Bin (of a project), and select “Add Clip or Folder”, the directory structure presented shows only files/directories that are local to the PC; no NFS mounts are shown.
However, when I create a project (test project) and save it to an NFS location, the software sees the NFS mount and directory structure, but kdenlive is unable to save a project on an NFS location.
Thanks.

Thanks for the reply.
The NFS mount points are mounted on the PC and presented as directories.

NFSv3 might get supported again. (probably not v2)

This is disappointing about NFS, if that is the direction kdenlive is going to. I have about 2TB of audio/video on NAS that I use for projects. The NAS provides data redundancy and backups. My PC only has enough storage for the OS, word processing… etc and some TEMP space. The PC is used mostly has a “work-station” with all data files on NFS.
Unfortunately, I may need to move to another video software option.

There is smb available, more secure (than NFSv2 at least) and more compatible, maybe slightly harder to setup compared to NFS.

I considered SMB, but you are correct, there is a bit more involved and may not be worth the time. I’m on NFSv4 for everything and will probably need to stay at that level.

I’m going to look at running older versions of kdenlive (if possible); from the ones I have used over the years, they all supported NFS. I think kdenlive is an excellent editor; was hoping they would continue with NFS.

Then I am unable to reproduce the issue. I have just installed Kdenlive 24.08.0 on Fedora 40 (RPM). The “open file” portal has a column on the left listing “Places”, “Remote”, “Recent” etc. Under “Remote” I can see my NFS mounts (they are all configured in fstab and I mount/unmount them with Dolphin).

Maybe you can be a bit more specific about your setup?

Thanks for the follow up. I did an upgrade (not a new install) to the current KUbuntu version:

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 24.04.1 LTS
Release: 24.04
Codename: noble

There are no NFS issues with the PC nor any of the other applications that rely on NFS storage (i.e. LibreOffice apps, Dolphin, etc…). All of my administration of the PC is conducted using terminal sessions. No NFS issues on the OS side of things. The only application unable to use NFS is the updated version (24.02) of kdenlive.

For a work-around (at the moment), I am able to run an older version of kdenlive (23.08.5), but I am using it as an Appimage.

To clarify, only kio-nfs is not available with KDE Frameworks 6, that is in dolphin urls like nfs://....

Nfs filesystem mount support is provided by the kernel.

1 Like

Looks good. Thank you.