Xmp sidecar are not being created

I’m using digiKam 8.4.0 (just upgraded) on windows 11.

In Configure - digiKam > Metadata > Sidecars:
Both Read from sidecar file and Write to sidecar files are checked and “Write to item and XMP Sidecar” is selected.

When I add new photos, XMP files are not being created. I’ve even tried selecting all files just imported and Item > Write Metadata to Selected Files which did not result in files being created.

On the older version (on my previous computer) it was working. But this is a new install so maybe my setup is on correct.

I had the same problem - the .xmp sidecar files did not seem to be written anywhere no matter what I did.

However, going back into Settings/Metadata/Sidecars and checking the option “Sidecar file names are compatible with commercial programs” seemed to enable the writing of the sidecars again.

There must be a bug that happens when that option is not checked.

sidecar-digikam

I submitted a bug to the bugtracker:

bugs.kde. org/show_bug.cgi?id=492849

(not linked because I can’t submit links on the forum yet)

This is my wife’s original post.

We’ve done as you suggest and it still does not write the sidecar file. Here is a more detailed information.

My wife is a very keen photo hobbist.

I’m in the process of moving 90,000 photos from Adobe photo elements to digiKam 8.4.0Â (started process in prior version).

I’m using 2 different platforms for testing and production, Window 11 and Chromebook.

I’ve exported all the photos and have an sidecar xmp for each photo with Tags representing all the catalogues from Adobe.

The initial install and scan for photos imported everything as expected in the prior version. I have all 3 items checked, as per the screen shot, on the sidecars setup tab for metadata.

Issues:

1. When I add new photos (with xmp file) in version 8.4.0 the sidecar is automatically read, I have to do an Album > Reread Metadata from files.
  2. If I update the tags (delete or add a new tag) the information is not writen back to the sidecar file. I have an import python app that copies photos from a source to “Pictures” folder and creates a sidecar file containing Tags for the import date and time.

I could just use the sidecar file as a once only import tool and rely on the db to store all the data but I want to keep the data standalone to easily move between platforms (Chromebook is used whilst traveling and then transfered to Windows server when back home).

What have I missed?

Thanks and regards
Barry