5.28 release plans?

I was thinking it would be a good idea to port back Wayland fixes and other improvements made in 6.0.x and release that system running 5.x

See Schedules/Plasma 5 - KDE Community Wiki :slight_smile:

I am already grateful that there has been a 5.27.11 release - especially because the next (K)ubuntu LTS (24.04) will ship with Plasma 5.27.x.

1 Like

There is not going to be a 5.28 release

2 Likes

But will there ever be an 5.27.12 or is 5.27.* kind of done now?

See “Future Releases” in Schedules/Plasma 5 - KDE Community Wiki :slight_smile:

Currently, no further bugfix release for 5.27 has been scheduled, but this might change in the future

Basically, if there is enough of a need or demand, it might still happen. But most effort is going towards Plasma 6 now, so don’t expect many changes outside of small fixes to keep any existing functionality working as is. If you’re looking for significant improvements and especially on the Wayland front, updating to Plasma 6 is the way to go.

3 Likes

Ok, thanks for the clarifications.
So basically, 5.* will be maintained for a while just to keep it working as it is, but existing minor 5.27.* issues that haven’t been addressed yet, most likely won’t be ever addressed in that release branch.
I guess this means, that it is also not very useful anymore to report/investigate 5.27* bugs, apart for major breaking ones and the effort would be better spent to improve the 6.* line.

Then I have to migrate my Debian stable system to something else, if I don’t want to wait 1-2 years for getting any further KDE improvements.

Minor issues may well be addressed in 5.27 still. The important thing is that the fix must be relatively risk-free (usually small, easy to understand, no rewrite necessary for 5.27 compared to 6.0) because many KDE developers don’t have a 5.27 development environment set up anymore, so testing is limited. We don’t want to introduce changes for 5.27 that fix something but break someone else’s setup instead.

Yep - the whole premise of Debian Stable is that there is some benefit that comes from completely freezing the system’s software versions in a state that was tested together by the Debian project community. If you want any new features at all, or (realistically) any non-security bugfixes developed by the upstream projects, then in the terms of the Debian project, that’s “shiny new stuff syndrome”.

IMO the KDE model of constantly iterating, rather than targeting one single released version as “the stable one for years to come”, makes KDE’s releases generally poorly aligned with Debian’s distribution philosophy - a desktop like Xfce is better aligned with Debian, while distributions like openSUSE Tumbleweed, Arch and, to a lesser extent, Fedora, are better aligned with KDE Plasma.

1 Like

This model is used by some companies, even open source ones, by extending the support of old software, especially when it’s widely used in sensitive sectors requiring security and stability or minor features.

And it’s quite expensive support, because temporary dedicated teams are created to backport, add fixes and well retest those old versions.

1 Like