A medley of (non-critical) bugs in Plasma 6 that I have encountered

Thank you for thinking about a change. :+1:
I really appreciate what you are doing for KDE and its user base (e.g. to be occupied with annoying people and their annoying ideas :wink:).

Although this would be a little bit better, I still think it is not very correct as the settings in the sub-category - now “Wi-Fi & Networking” and then(?) “Wi-Fi & Internet” - are (outside of private home networks) often used to connect to a corporate network - which then (and beyond these settings) mostly is also connected to the internet. So “Wi-Fi & Networking” is the better term there.

I would prefer to simply add “Network” to the heading:
→ “Internet & Network” or “Network & Internet”
(also not “& Networking” so you can leave the sub-category named “Wi-Fi & Networking” and stay linguistically diversified).
And why not? It is a simple solution and there are other headings that have two words connected with an “&”, so it would also be consistent in a way…

By this you would satisfied the alleged need to also have “Internet” in the main category name/heading for less “computer-savvy” users who “just want to be in the internet” and also satisfy the correctness of networking terms…

Too much thoughts? I don’t know - it simply is something that I immediately notice (like the uneven gaps at the floating panel :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:)…

Could you put comments in the merge request, please? Easier to have the discussion there.

1 Like

I just did - cheers!

Two bugs I can’t solve:

when I close GTK applications a sound is played. Changing sound theme does not solve the problem.

I am unable to set the breeze cursor for SDDM. This was happening to me before but I had solved it by installing (on Arch) xcursor-breeze. It does not seem to work for Plasma 6.

I could reproduce as well as in openSUSE Tumbleweed, in KDE neon and in Arch that SDDM 0.21 seems to ignore the cursor theme setting

[Theme]
CursorTheme=name_of_the_cursor_theme

in /etc/sddm.conf.d/kde_settings.conf when it was changed by
System SettingsAppearance & Style → Colors & ThemesLogin Screen (SDDM)Apply Plasma Settings…

I will add this to my original list above when I could re-test it with Plasma 6.0.3.

I could not reproduce the sound when closing GTK applications, though.

Also I have a problem in terminal. I use powerline-go and special gliphs are not properly rendered. All was ok on plasma 5.

That’s a change in Qt6 that was reverted recently, see:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=478549

1 Like

…we simply don’t get many designers showing up. I think a source for this is the persistent–and successful–urging in the art & design communities of “don’t work for free!”

Yea, I’m sure this is a part of it. The fact is that programming is not devalued in the way that design is, so the nickel-and-diming, “competitions” and spec-work that is endemic to creative industries, almost to a systematic degree, just never occurred with programming work at even close to the same level. Plus, designers that use GNU/Linux are like hen’s teeth; most have no idea that professional design work is even possible on a FLOSS stack.

…in general the designers we get in KDE tend not to be experienced professionals… it becomes easy for the devs to ignore them.

This is fair. Even professional designers often don’t help the perception of the industry — I feel like what many designers really want to do is make art for a living, which is not what design is, so they don’t prioritize usability like they should.

Ultimately I think we probably need to hire a professional designer if we want to level up our design capabilities.

I agree; even if just to develop some guidelines / design tokens. That said, there’s no harm in asking individuals for contributions like that first.

Unfortunately, a number of them went deep into the core of how KDE designs apps. For example he pointed out that in Kirigami apps, toolbar content is context-sensitive, but the unified “tools area” visual styling of the toolbar makes it look like the buttons are grouped with the titlebar–which is global in scope–rather than the page beneath it. As a result the context-sensitivity is contradicted by the visual cues in the UI.

Yea, the fact that designers should be brought in to help decide how these things are structured rather than brought in to style them afterwards is a tough nut to crack in FLOSS when things often begin as solo-dev projects.

On that particular case: I wonder why people feel that it looks better? One bugbear of mine with many KDE applications is the over-reliance on rules / lines to indicate grouping and hierarchy. I remember reading yonks ago that it’s best to use as few indicators as you can get away with, because extraneous indicators don’t actually help and just increase cognitive load. I wonder if it had something to do with that, or maybe there was inadequate whitespace or something?

This was obviously correct, but hearing it felt very depressing to me because I led the effort to unify the titlebar and toolbar contents visually. The obvious conclusion was “well, that was wrong, revert it” and I felt bad.

This stuff is hard to hear for sure, but god knows everyone makes mistakes, and the fact is that designing software is very very difficult. I’m an old-school designer; I started designing for print at a print brokerage years ago. I still mostly do print; the same basic principles apply to print and design for digital interfaces, but lord, the digital stuff has so much more to consider for all kinds of reasons. But besides that, KDE software is more usable than ever, and honestly, the fact that you’re able to accept input and change your view on something is a tremendously valuable skill, so I wouldn’t feel too bad!

4 Likes

Some random bugs in multiple parts of Plasma, especially with open/save dialogs, can be easily solved if you delete ~/.config/kdeglobals then reboot. But you will lose some customizations.

1 Like

Thank you for this tip, but of course my tests all take place in new user accounts (or completely new installations).
I also create additional new user accounts after each point release/update for testing purposes.

It really is very true that UI design is hard. Not only do you have to make the software look good, it has to be learnable, and it has to work well too. And the software has to continue doing these things when the user fills it up with unexpected content; makes the window or the font size unexpectedly enormous or tiny; unexpectedly uses a monospaced font for everything in the UI; applies a custom color scheme to it; plays with the settings in ways that create unforeseen combinations; plugs in three screens and puts a separate instance of it on each screen; and on and on.

There’s only so much of this complexity you actually can control, and the more you do, the more complaints you get that the software is “a toy” or “artificially limited”. But if you don’t, then your software is “bloated” and “a buggy mess.”

Creating something that avoids all these pitfalls–and continues to do so for an extended period of time–is just really hard.

That’s not an excuse, because of course it’s possible. It’s just hard, especially with volunteers and/or practically no budget or formal management.

6 Likes

I have noticed most of that as well, but worried it might be just me and too nitpicky (like the uneven gaps). I’m glad to see that it’s not. May I add some other things that have bothered me?

In the spirit of the rename Wifi and Networking to Network point, I have some other system settings related things that are not really bugs, more so differences in opinion, I guess. I put it behind this details format thing because it's a bit of a longer text backed up purely by my non-expert opinion.

At first I wanted to say nothing, because changing the layout was a necessary change and I thought it’s probably just an aversion to change, I’m just used to systemsettings5 (not that i didn’t have some issues with that as well) and I’ll get used to the new layout. But after giving it a shot for a few months now (been using plasma 6 since the first alpha), some things still don’t make sense to me.

1. Some items are placed under categories where I don’t expect them.
  • Why is Night Light at Colors & Themes? It would make so much more sense to put it at either Display & Monitor or Accessibility or literally anyhwere else.

• Desktop Effects are misplaced in Window Management. Most of the settings in there have nothing at all to do with window management. I would put Desktop Effects under Appearance & Style, because they don’t really fit anywhere else.

• Why are SDDM’s settings under Colors & Themes but Screen Locking is under Security & Privacy? People already struggle to grasp that the login screen and the lockscreen are different things, putting those settings so far apart (and one of them hidden behind another - imho barely related - settings sub category) that they may not realise that both exist as separate settings and when they do it’s a chore to go to the right one after they mistakenly went to one that doesn’t have the settings they want to change, is suboptimal, I’d say.

I think both of these should have their look and feel settings seperated from their security and session related settings and have them redistributed to their appropriate categories. I get why that’s not the way it is currently, because of the whole everything is its own KCM thing, but this is what would imho make the most sense.

1. I don’t understand the order of the top level categories. Why are settings that you touch once and forget (and usually that “once” is in the distro’s installer gui, not the plasma settings) given so much priority over other settings? It makes very little sense to me. I guess one can debate endlessly over the right order and the ideal one is going to look a little different for everyone, but who changes their input and output settings on a regular basis (beyond changing the media volume through the system tray or volume keys)? Like, is there someone who rotates their keyboard layout between QWERTY, QWERTZ and DVORAK every other week?

I was about to tell you my prefered order, but I think as long as there is such an opinionated approach there’ll always be someone like me, who doesn’t get it, so I’d probably just sort it alphabetically. Not perfect, but at least the rationale behind it is obvious.

1 Like

Thank you.
I think it can be very productive and will improve the usability and public perception of KDE Plasma, if computer-beginners and advanced users, laymen and professionals all give their feedback from different perspectives regarding the labeling of GUI elements and the design details.
In an ideal world the outcome would be that everyone is satisfied and usability and public perception of Plasma have improved afterwards. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fwiw it’s pretty simple to change the row in which categories appear. You can open any .desktop file in /usr/share/systemsettings/categories/ and edit the X-KDE-Weight= number from 10 to 20, etc… :wink:

3 Likes

Note that files in /usr are generally managed by your distro, changing them might not be a good idea because they will get either:

• overwritten by a future update
  • not picking up future updates from KDE because there were local changes.

Customizations should ideally go into /etc for global changes or into ~/.config or ~/.local for user-speciric changes.

5 Likes

you 're right ofc :slight_smile: (my post was not meant as a full step-by-step tutorial, who has time for that :smile: - some things should be known already, especially by old-timers - :stuck_out_tongue:)

Yes, thank you.
And one could also change the category names - but this would only solve this for myself and for the installations I do for other people.
And I would have to do this individually for every Plasma 6 installation…

But I thought you were working on “Schwarzerkater’s KDE respin” .iso already, no? :stuck_out_tongue:

j/k I also don’t know why Input & Output is at #1 place (and I don’t like that either), but I suppose there was some KDE dev brainstorming behind that.

OT:
No, absolutely not… :wink: :laughing: (and I wouldn’t even know how to do that to begin with :grinning:)
I rarely have enough time to take care of my little “get rid of Snap” scripts et al. for Kubuntu

1 Like

Basically (= without much thought but with a quick “instictive” look*) I would put those Categories as they are named now in the following order:

1. Appearance & Style
  2. Apps & Windows
  3. Workspace
  4. Language & Time
  5. Input & Output
  6. Connected Devices
  7. Networking
  8. Security & Privacy
  9. System

/edit: *reasoning for 1-3: KDE is legendary for its UI options & workflow manipulations, these go first because you have to show/advertise them to the public.