I am working on a website where users can rate how well linux apps perform when used in different form factors. The idea is to be simple and similar to how Steam has the “Steam Deck Verified” ratings, but community based.
When I say form factors, I’ve got 4 general configurations in mind so far:
- Desktop (mouse/keyboard)
- Does it look/feel natural on a full desktop or laptop configuration?
- Large Touch screen (tablet)
- is the app completely usable with only a touch screen?
- Does it feel natural without a mouse/keyboard?
- Small Form Factor (phone)
- Does the app fit comfortably on a smaller/portrait mode configuration?
- Is it completely usable without modification?
- HomeTheater/Console(TV or handheld console, no touchscreen)
- Is the app usable using only a remote or gamepad?
Let’s use Firefox for an example:
- Desktop: designed for this. feels natural.
- Tablet: usable, but does not feel natural
- Phone: Does not scale well, unusable without significant tweaking
- Console: Not usable without a touch screen or mouse/keyboard.
Im only considering a website for this because this kind of information doesnt seem to exist already. Can I get some thoughts on this idea?
- Is there anything like this already in the pipeline for KDE Discover?
- If not, is this worth pursuing?
- If I make this and an API to access the data, would KDE Discover be able to add this info?