Amarok 3.0 "Castaway" released!

Hi everyone,
I am happy to announce the immediate availability of Amarok 3.0 “Castaway”!
This is the first stable Qt5/KDE Frameworks 5 based version of Amarok, and first stable release since 2018, when the final Qt4 based version 2.9.0 was released.

Full release announcement with information about changes since beta, statistics on contributors & other interesting facts at Amarok 3.0 "Castaway" released! - KDE Blogs and full changelog at ChangeLog · master · Multimedia / Amarok · GitLab

Source tarball available at Mirrorlist /stable/amarok/3.0.0/amarok-3.0.0.tar.xz, hopefully soon also via various binary routes.

Now it’s time to Rediscover Your Music in the 2020’s!

14 Likes

Whoah this ended up in LWN! Amarok 3.0 "Castaway" released [LWN.net]

2 Likes

Soon on Flathub: Update amarok to 3.0.0 by flathubbot · Pull Request #4 · flathub/org.kde.amarok · GitHub

2 Likes

Ah, ok, an extra “.desktop” in the appdata id, I see. I can fix it in git master (EDIT: Remove extra .desktop from appstream id (1df673de) · Commits · Tuomas Nurmi / Amarok · GitLab) so it will be correct in 3.0.1. Is that something that can be easily patched for 3.0.0 flathub build?

1 Like

I am so looking forward to taking Amarok for another spin.

If it will be able to connect to FunkWhale as well, it has potential to become my favourite music player (for the 3rd time) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not Haiku ready (or I’m not up for the job) :slight_smile: just can’t get the center screen to show up or connect to the/a (?) database. But again could just be me, build is OK and playback works fine on local and remote files (including podcasts).

Looking at your screenshot posted on #kde, seems like the context view components have not been loaded successfully. If you start the program with amarok --debug, do you get any messages telling about context applet qml files not being found? (E.g. on my system, the context view qml data is in /usr/lib64/qml/org/kde/amarok/)

This is the output from Terminal:

~> amarok --debug
**********************************************************************************************
** AMAROK WAS STARTED IN NORMAL MODE. IF YOU WANT TO SEE DEBUGGING INFORMATION, PLEASE USE: **
** amarok --debug                                                                           **
**********************************************************************************************
Couldn't start kglobalaccel from org.kde.kglobalaccel.service: QDBusError("org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Disconnected", "Not connected to D-Bus server")
kf.kirigami: Failed to find a Kirigami platform plugin
QWidget::setMinimumSize: (Media Sources dock/BrowserDock) Negative sizes (200,-1) are not possible
QWidget::setMinimumSize: (Context dock/ContextDock) Negative sizes (400,-1) are not possible
QWidget::setMinimumSize: (Playlist dock/Playlist::Dock) Negative sizes (0,-1) are not possible
kf.windowsystem: Could not find any platform plugin
QSystemTrayIcon::setVisible: No Icon set
QWidget::insertAction: Attempt to insert null action
QWidget::insertAction: Attempt to insert null action
QWidget::setMinimumSize: (Media Sources dock/BrowserDock) Negative sizes (200,-1) are not possible
QWidget::setMinimumSize: (Playlist dock/Playlist::Dock) Negative sizes (200,-1) are not possible
QWidget::setMinimumSize: (Playlist dock/Playlist::Dock) Negative sizes (200,-1) are not possible
kf.kio.workers.http: Can't communicate with kded_kcookiejar!
kf.kio.workers.http: Can't communicate with kded_kcookiejar!
"applications.menu"  not found in  ()
kf.service.sycoca: Service type not found: "application/x-webarchive"
kf.service.sycoca: Service type not found: "application/x-khtml-adaptor"
Calling appendChild() on a null node does nothing.

Screenshot from the package and the installed files:

Ok, the debug mode doesn’t seem to work as intended there, as there’s the warning about not being in debug mode first and no debug output after. Does e.g. amarok --help give a list of commandline options? (If not, something’s not working with parsing of commandline arguments; if yes, something’s just not right with setting the debug flag)
kf.kirigami: Failed to find a Kirigami platform plugin also sounds like something that possibly could be relevant

Had been crossing my mind, but searching the net for this drives me nuts :wink:

Build was in Release mode, had a RelWitDebug version earlier, but iirc that din’t reveal anything new there.

amarok --help seems to work fine

~> amarok --help
Usage: amarok [options]
The audio player by KDE

Options:
  -h, --help                 Displays help on commandline options.
  --help-all                 Displays help including Qt specific options.
  -v, --version              Displays version information.
  --author                   Show author information.

I think build mode shouldn’t affect whether --debug provides verbose debug output (could be wrong though); seems more like the command line argument fails to get through to amarok and that’s why debug output is not activated. I’m not familiar with Haiku internals at all, but looking at package contents, sounds plausible that the context applet qml files are not found (debug output might be able to tell more about where the program tries to search them from)

That’s interesting. I can’t right away come up with any good idea why enabling debug mode would fail to work, but I’ll have a look at related code some time later and see if I could spot something that could be platform dependant.

1 Like

No problem, thanks for taking the time, fwiw, all other qml files are stored in those places in order for Qt5/Qt6.

Time to rediscover QT5 - isn’t that going EOL very soon?

Yes, it’s true that work should continue with Qt6 porting soon.

However, it would not have made sense not to release a Qt5/KF5 version first, as the porting work was pretty much done and anything that improves Qt5 experience is likely to help with Qt6, too. As 3.0 uses only single functionalities that are deprecated in Qt 5.15, the steps to Qt6 shouldn’t be that hard.

8 Likes

Congratulations!

I’m excited to read that work will be done to get it onto Qt6 as well, may Amarok live forever!

2 Likes

I’ve merged the update for Flathub so it should be available soon (once it’s built & published, so around tomorrow).

Right now it’s in Beta so if folks are interested, testing it and reporting success / failure would be great and then we could move it to the stable remote and it would be more visible on Flathub website: Move out of Beta · Issue #5 · flathub/org.kde.amarok · GitHub

Thanks!

3 Likes

Awesome! Thank you!

1 Like

Amarok was always the best media player, I think when it went to v2 it lost some of its original magic. Hopefully you can bring it back and give it a nice refresh. Thanks for doing this!

You know what else would be cool? Use this as a front end to replace the ugly front end of linux media server - an otherwise really good server that just has an ugly front end. It’s got all the pieces to make are really awesome client server setup and give it a great head start.