Application ideas

That’s unfortunate. Let’s fund KDE to fork all the things and make them QML (oh and buy Qt)!

2 Likes

Here I go with totally unrealistic ideas: “Protektor”:

• security settings: scan for settings you probably want to reset, the fwupd list but with things a power-user is able to fix, a clamav scanner UI, an adware scanner for stuff you might want to uninstall, links to autostarting app settings.
  • A family-safety settings: set screentime / per app time limits, set domain blocking lists system-wide, set app blocking: only one browser for ex., and set content rating limits for apps from Discover.
2 Likes

I think creating some basic game applications can be useful as well, especially for new contributors.

I had always wanted to create a mobile rhythm game for Plasma Mobile but alas, no time…

1 Like

Do you think it could be good project for a GSoC maybe?

1 Like

Some of these ideas are definitely good candidate for a GSoC.

1 Like

Don’t know if this suits the mobile space. But I found lack of iso to live usb writer or memory card flashing app. there is on gsoc project but it is in alpha stage

4 Likes

There are many people that use docks with the PinePhone, and so they can flash USB sticks! So an application like that can be pretty useful if convergent.

1 Like

speaking of USBs
I think something like this will be useful if you don’t want to carry your USB drive

if Plasma Mobile will be able to be used as desktop, being able to use a screen without dongles will be really cool.

1. plugin you phone
  2. boot a small distro
  3. use display connected to the computer
  4. enjoy your desktop experience without dongles

one problem is that you need competition and probably smaller resolution

also there is some work on Kde connect for Plasma Mobile bit I think there wasn’t much progress
recently

https://phabricator.kde.org/T8968

considering that Plasma Mobile is much more open maybe some exclusive feathers can be added that don’t work on android

if anyone is interested then here is the source code (maybe change folder to mobile app instead of app)

3 Likes

Netspeed widget in a customizable status bar and adjusting the brightness by swiping finger without having to pull up the action drawer

I would love to see a KDE app for managing my retro games collection :slight_smile:

See the WIP KRetro app Seshan Ravikumar / kretro · GitLab :slight_smile:

Awesome project, but it’s not the same. Kretro is for playing games, I want an app for managing physical games.

A Gemini client similar to Geopard would be super niche but nice.

Might be helpful, but I learned of Office / Tellico · GitLab recently and it might help you manage the collection. I haven’t tried it yet though, but I might use it soon myself :slight_smile:

A Discourse app that allows me to browse multiple instances of Discourse would be nice. One of the main reasons I still use reddit is that it allows me to see and interact with posts from multiple communities (e.g. /r/gnome, /r/kde, /r/opensuse) from a single feed.

3 Likes

This might actually work. Thank you.

1 Like

A little app that lets anyone create a colorscheme based (light/dark changing) wallpapers would be really cool.

Potentially based on GitHub - dylanaraps/pywal: 🎨 Generate and change color-schemes on the fly.

1 Like

I just found an older mockup for that:

5 Likes