Are you out of your mind to release such faulty update?

https://blog.neon.kde.org/2024/03/02/megarelease-teething-problems

As many have noticed, Neon’s release of Plasma 6 was not without its problems. We would like to apologise for the totally unexpected packaging problems as “Testing Edition” and “Unstable Edition” had been working just fine without these issues.

Of course the first round of fixes have already hit the “User Edition” archives. Expect more to follow as we continue to ‘Q.A.’ the packages and eliminate as many bugs as we can.

2 Likes

If you want to contribute, then do that by creating proper bug reports.

yeah that’s what i am sort of doing, I am reporting on the mind set bug in the community, when people think that losing every day users it is just fine. But i stop here, no more comments from my side. I kind of fan of KDE neon, and really hope to find a way to continue to use it in my everyday work. Peace.

Mistakes are a fundamental part of success.

3 Likes

I’m just saying KDE would greatly benefit from automated bug reporting like Microsoft, Google, and Mozilla use. KDE can do it and it will significantly to dramatically help stability since even ordinary users with no interest in reporting bugs will be contributing to KDE through automated crash reports. This could be enabled or disabled or made mandatory. Doesn’t matter to me, but it should be done one way or another.

You are SO wrong in many ways to replying like that and which there is no need.

This is not “yelling” the Devs, this is about a correct organization and planning (and I am a Sr. Full Stack developer myself). Is no matter if is a Paid SO or a Community SO, is about correct ORGANIZATION, something that seems you are not familiar with.

So, yes was a bad decision to include this release to the User Edition when KDE 6 was just released.

Being that said, this kind of situation needs more testing before include a big mayor release to a version of a distro that is intend for a regular user with minimal knowledgement of an Operating System (and in my case, I use Linux since 2001 and I am Sysadmin as well).

All this does not mean we (or I) are not gratefully for the all the great work they do everyday. But is weird too see this kind of non proper organized update in such kind of work. Yes, a human mistake but should be avoided.

Thats all.

The issue was this happened because of packaging. So testing and unstable was not affected and nobody could have noticed. Waiting for someone else to release wouldn’t have helped either.

Afaik the only thing that would have helped here is to roll out in waves, and once there is an issue found stop the release until the packaging is fixed.
Doubt there is something like that for Linux.

Unless going the windows and mac route where you give the installation a unique number and then track that, pretty much no.
That would also open up a whole can of worms with user consent and all that.

The way of branches usually is enough, but there is always the risk of human error.

Not sure why not more distros are defaulting to btrfs with easy snapshot functionality.
Things like these accidents are easily reverted with that.

Neon experience is actually not the default standard for most KDE users to measure the performance or stability of Plasma6 desktop, you should wait for Arch/Manjaro, Fedora, Kubuntu, openSUSE users’ feedback.

1 Like

Hear hear! I am with you 100%.

1 Like

It does. For a long time now. Exactly the same as MS or Mozilla. Perhaps you turned it off and forgot about it?

ask for refund… I am sure you paid a lot

I just enabled User Feeedback. Is this what you meant? Now when KDE crashes it will send info and bug reports automatically to KDE?

Apparently not. “But it’s not that great, the amount of things we collect is rubbish and it’s a very difficult uphill battle to add a new metric without drama.So we still have a lot of MRs made based on people pulling claims out the air.” https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/seu1u6/how_much_does_user_feedback_help_kde/

So how do I enable bug reporting like Mozilla and Microsoft use?

You can do that 2 ways.

1. You provide funds so KDE can create and host a server platform where these “automatic bugreports” gather, then provide funds for paying for people going through these tens of thousands of “bug reports” and sort out 99.99% of them that are invalid.
  2. Offer yourself and 10 more people who will spend 40hrs a week, unpayed ONLY lookin at “bug reports” sorting out 99.99% of them as invalid.

As a side note, what do you think actually happens with those brilliant “automatic bugreports” on microsoft and mozilla you LOVE SO MUCH?
I can give you a spoiler: not a god da*n thing other than making people THINK they are now in the clear and the “bug” will be fixed magically with that sole CRASHreport.
They also end up in a database somewhere, unclear what to ever be used as other than tracking what user is using what. xD

Now when KDE crashes it will send info and bug reports automatically to KDE?

Not automatically. If you install the drkonqi package, when something crashes, it shows a dialog (like many other softwares, e.g. Chrome, Firefox) that allows you to send info to KDE. And devs see them.

1 Like

Why would 99.99% of automatically generated bug reports be invalid? If something crashes and it offers me the option to send relevant data to the manufacturer, how is that an invalid bug report? Doesn’t the automated process ensure all the reports are valid?

Anyway, I maxed out my User Feedback setting, and this allows me (when it is working correctly) to send automated reports to KDE.

I’ve also since realized my problems were Wayland related. I switched to X11 and now my system seems rock solid once again.

1 Like

Nice to know that I am not alone with all these problems now!

Is there any easy way to get back to plasma 5 without reinstalling the whole system?

For a couple of reasons.

• There is no way of communicating with the person that generated the “bug report” to gain further information to work with.
  • Without user consent to basically open up their system like windows, additional information would not be provided.
  • Crashes that is caused by OTHER factors can never be detected (except if above point is true)

It’s not related to the “User Feedback” setting. And it’s not fully automatic.

See this for an example of bugs generated from crash:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=481303

You can see that:

1. It is valid and useful.
  2. For it to be useful, you need to register an account in https://bugs.kde.org , and provide information about the crash. (the crash handler DrKonqi dialog will guide you through that.
1 Like

The discussions here are getting rather out of hand. If you are still encountering problems that aren’t reported elsewhere or want to discuss a particular topic please create a new post

7 Likes