Automatic closing after update

I’m used to updating Plasma in the evening, rebooting to complete the update and then shutting down so that I don’t have to update at startup the next day. It would be very convenient if you could update Plasma and then reboot automatically or manually or better yet from Discover it can be turned off automatically, so that when I start the update the whole PC can see it, I tick the option for restart and automatic shutdown on Discover and I don’t think about anything else.

All Linux upgrades can be applied (but not loaded) when you are running your system, the next time you boot you will load the new stuff.

There is no concept of rebooting to complete upgrades.

"All Linux upgrades can be applied (but not loaded) when you are running your system, the next time you boot you will load the new stuff.

There is no concept of rebooting to complete upgrades.
"

I would not bet on that one, during my testing in my quest to get fully updated system I ran across this strange one. System was to be updated and notification popped up to say a system restart is required now. Since I seen the kernel was being updated I said sure it is time for reboot and let it do it for a change to see what it did.

Anyways the reboot happens and I thought well it will install them and do reboot. Well that is not what happened it booted into an updating the system screen which proceeded to install the update then reboot once more, total full blown Windows action on a Linux system, that ended any further testing right then and there. Memory fails me on which one it was there were more than a few in them days of testing.

Personally if it is just something like Plasma/KDE being updated I log out go to virtual console install the updates use a pkill X to restart it to get new login screen where the newly updated applications for them will be used as the source for loading the desktop. Individual applications shut them down update and open again so they reload their updated files in the startup process.

Edit: Only the kernel and something like libc6 being updated will prompt me to do a reboot after the obligatory virtual console routine, the vital system files that can only be updated by a reboot. I never update graphically cannot stand them and the lack of control over the process you have with them. This has served me well in the more than twenty years of running Linux as my OS.

Nowadays on Fedora I use the Discover gui, and the gui wants a reboot unless the setting is changed, updating with reboot is fine for me, but I’m used to shutting down after the update, a reboot and shutdown would be convenient automatic, even only on Discover, but if it’s not a common problem I don’t insist

I think the GUI is just saying that you should reboot to apply.

You could simply shutdown instead.

However, I would suggest that PackageKit (used by Gnome and KDE software managers) are not a great fit for Arch based systems - and I heard rumours DNF backend for packageKit is in worse shape.

So the best solution is actually to dnf in the terminal.

I like scripts, so I’d do sth like this:

#!/bin/bash
commands () {
echo "Time for an Upgrade!";
sudo dnf upgrade
sleep 30
amixer set Master 5%; systemctl suspend
}
export -f commands
konsole -e --hold "bash -c 'commands'"

The --hold command means Konsole will not close itself, but it can suspend the system.