Bring ksysguard back as neither plasma-systemmonitor / ksystemstats are any good

This might also be the reason why Plasmoids like the Individual Core Usage widget stay empty in virtual machines (at least with my Intel iGPU - could work with dedicated GPU passthrough):

ICU_widget

PS: It does work on real hardware with an AMD iGPU (no dedicated GPU present) here, though…

You can’t change priority of processes in the new plasma-systemmonitor.
Also, I want to see the process list on the first view, not the overview, even if i remove the overview from the list it still shows up when first opening plasma-systemmonitor.

2 Likes

Well I updated to Plasma 6, plasma-systemmonitor still cannot show my CPU temps at all!

So much for it being a replacement to KsysGuard!

Luckily there’s some kind person who packaged ksysguard on the Arch AUR so I am able to use that for now.

We will see how long it works for, but at least it is working now.

There is a quick-and-dirty port to Plasma 6 on the AUR: ksysguard6-git

Works great for me, and all previous settings are still there.

2 Likes

Is there some third party system monitor that’s on par with KSysGuard or maybe someone made a fork of it?
The AUR package @JoeCool mentioned is certainly helpful to Arch users, but, other than the fact that most other distros probably don’t have such an option, I predict that it won’t last that long with future updates to dependencies and Plasma.

I haven’t read what you or other people are missing from ksysguard in this thread (I personally miss the “Details” from the right-click menu, showing env variables, mappings etc) but you could take a look at GitHub - lxqt/qps: Qt process viewer and manager from LXQt. Iirc LXQt (2.0) is already being ported to Qt6 so there are high chances this will ported as well.

1 Like

Nothing should stop you from compiling upstream of the AUR yourself: GitHub - zvova7890/ksysguard6 at kf6

It’s actually pretty light on dependencies. An Arch PKGBUILD is pretty easy to read and should give you hints for all necessary prerequisites and dependencies even for other distros: PKGBUILD - aur.git - AUR Package Repositories

Be sure to build the kf6 branch and not master.

Even though this is an old thread: I have missed ksysguard, but I also couldn’t find a usable alternative (I admit, I didn’t search very actively for it; I am old and time consuming tasks let me sometimes get lost, and then I just stop, frustrated mostly). I can do with plasma-systemmonitor which I only found today as the actual replacement, even though I don’t like the cumulated line graph, it’s very hard to distinguish which is which, that was better in ksysguard where there were only lines and not filled areas. Anyway, I have another suggestion which I would really love to be considered:
When you replace an app that has been in KDE for a while (I have worked with KDE from version 2 or maybe even 1, I don’t remember exactly, and I have seen a number of apps disappear), why not program a small app in place of the old one that just says: “This app has been replaced by the following: …”
Because, I do not like to read through a bunch of self praising and /or exciting news only to find somewhere within or in between those lines a hint that this or that program has been abandoned and what should be done in order to continue to have that functionality etc.
That’s why I found out about plasma-systemmanager only today, because there was no such message.

Such a popup would do the trick very easily, and since it’s all within KDE, it could be made a policy…

1 Like

Another vote for bringing back ksysguard.
I compiled it manually on my arch system but it would be nice to have this pre installed.
It was really nifty to simply press Ctrl + Esc and have the dialog show up quickly to kill the resource hungry processes. System monitor isn’t so fast and the UI is a lot more than what is needed for this quick little task.

5 Likes

I’m in manjaro (arch repos) and I just saw this in my last update:
:: Relace ksysguard with extra/plasma-systemmonitor? [Y/n]

System monitor uses at least 180 MB when i check two tabs, meanwhile ksysguard uses 90MB of memory when I check two tabs (included a custom sheet with sensors). This values are reported by System monitor. Ksysguard has always done everything I needed. KDE is fine, but it isn’t that infrequent to find these dubious quality “upgrades” .

1 Like

I had the initial same reaction to system monitor… but after a while it grew on me because of how versatile it was… sure it requires more clicks to get things the way you like it, but overall it’s a better app and I don’t miss KSysGuard anymore. You can import views that other people published online and publish your own, that’s really a great feature.

I think what system monitor needs though are better default views. The default Overview view shows memory/disk/cpu as pie charts and in my opinion those aren’t very helpful, because you’d want to see how those numbers change over time. Also, the history tab shows CPU, memory, and network. I think more should be added, like disk, GPU, and maybe battery/energy usage.

also, the cpu usage monitor does not take CPU clocks into account. As a result, even if the CPU isn’t very busy, it’ll show that it’s at 50% usage even though the clock is at the lowest scaling setting, which is very misleading. I hope that could be improved.

2 Likes

You can choose which page is shown when opening plasma-systemmonitor 6.0.4, in the page settings (hamburger menu).

1 Like

Just a quick request regarding a specific function I used to use with ksysguard.
Is it possible to monitor remote hosts. With ksysguard it was possible to construct a page with information sourced from lots of remote servers on a single page. It used ssh to communicate with remote ksysguardd sensors.

The new monitor is without doubt lacking compared to the old one, it over-focuses on those shiny charts instead of helping users inspect their problems.

The most needed feature is to view the details of a running process, especially the full command, for now it’s possible only via that that hard to see and short viewed tooltip, and what is disturbing while comparing commands is that content is centered and there is no mean to left aligned it.

3 Likes

/edited:

[response to plasma-systemmonitor crashing]

I can confirm, System Monitor crashes again, by showing the Details Sidebar then clicking on some application, wasn’t that bug fixed? :confused:

Btw it sometimes feels like using a browser, there are delays loading “the stuff”, is kirigami something like the slow and clunky javascript? I can’t lie that I’m not a fan of such “multi-platform” frameworks being used for the Desktop, if that’s the case.

/edit: I see the bug was re-opened 473667 – System Monitor Segmentation fault for "Show Details Sidebar" , not good :confused:

1 Like

This is nothing to do with Kirigami and QML is not JavaScript. These are just inefficiencies in the app design. Also QT is and has always been a multiplatform framework it is however native. There is no web browser there it’s all cpp eventually.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying that :+1:

Mod deleted my post criticizing the choice about the removal of ksysguard without response. System-monitor is inadequate and poorly designed. Unprofessional software, unprofessional response.

1 Like

Poor performance, missing features – it’s not ready for prime time. Rather than delete posts of concerned users, use a more humble response.

1 Like

I’m sorry what are you smoking. You responded to a clarification on another comment to help inform the discussion with an aggressive rant.

I know this won’t get through to you but the people developing KDE are volunteers and there’s not enough of them. Comments like this come off as entitled.

For anyone who wants to have a reasonable discussion remember that the answer to the question “why hasn’t KDE fixed/implement x” is almost always no one has got round to it yet.

That being said, as noted at the top of this thread if there are actionable specific things people would want to improve system monitor you are welcome to open a request at bugs.kde.org and if you are polite they may even get implemented.

2 Likes