Broken KDE Connect Theme

Before I start, I should mention that I am on Hyprland git, Arch.
This issue, however, persisted across all the distros I used(openSUSE Tumbleweed, Gentoo, NixOS and Arch) and no matter what I did, I could never solve it.
It’s not Hyprland related either, my friend on i3 has the exact same issue.
My environment variables should be properly set, and pretty much every other qt app in existence works flawlessly.
Here are my env vars related to qt:

env = QT_QPA_PLATFORM,wayland;xcb
env = QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME,qt6ct

This is the output I get when I run kdeconnect-app:

kdeconnect-app
qrc:/qt/qml/org/kde/kdeconnect/app/FindDevicesPage.qml:13:1: QML FindDevicesPage: Created graphical object was not placed in the graphics scene.

I tried all the workarounds you can imagine and none worked:

QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct kdeconnect-app
QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt6ct kdeconnect-app
QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=wayland kdeconnect-app
QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE=fusion kdeconnect-app
QT_QUICK_BACKEND=software kdeconnect-app
GDK_BACKEND=x11 kdeconnect-app
env -i HOME=$HOME USER=$USER PATH=/usr/bin:/bin kdeconnect-app
XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/$(id -u) WAYLAND_DISPLAY=wayland-0 kdeconnect-app

Can somebody please explain what’s going on?

1 Like

Hello, this is something that happens in KDE applications in general, I had this problem before and I solved it once and for all.

First you need to have the plasma desktop package installed, size 294,42 MB only :slightly_smiling_face:

sudo pacman -S plasma-desktop

Then assign the following env value to the config file for still and restart your computer and the problem with the theme in KDE applications is solved:

env = QT_QUICK_CONTROLS_STYLE,org.kde.desktop
1 Like

I’ll give it a try shortly, thanks for the advice!

1 Like

Nah man, I can’t with KDE XD.
What you initially suggested didn’t exactly work, so I decided to boot into plasma, and to everyone’s big surprise, plasma settings theme was broken in the exact same way…
So I just logged out of that session, went back to hyprland and all’s good now :skull:
Thanks again for the suggestion!

For future reference, all you need is qqc2-desktop-style which provides this theme. It’s just a weird name :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

That’s really good to know.
Would’ve been nice if it was a dependency of KDE Connect or at least mentioned somewhere(like a warning that it’s missing or something).

Yes it would, it’s something we’re slowly moving towards to prevent situations like this :confused: If you have the time, please bring it up with Arch on their bugtracker and explain that it should be a dependency - even just a suggested one in pacman.

1 Like

Tried to do that, couldn’t create an account to report a bug(they blocked account creation for some reason), so I tried forums instead and my post just instantly got closed for deletion.
If somebody else with an account can do it that’d be great.