By default, some animation are delayed / by Brodie Robertson

Since the day I switched to KDE Plasma I had had a really annoying stutter bug but we have finally tracked it down and the reason it’s happening is really dumb and has really wide reaching effects on KDE Plasma.

He says outsorce ~/.cache to 2nd SSD.

1 Like

For those with enough RAM, one option is to mount ~/.cache to tmpfs

1 Like

That sounds like a better solution than the yter supplied (> soft-linking it to another sdd).

How’d I do that?

isn’t .cache supposed to persist between boots tho?

this would be like deleting .cache every time you reboot.

1 Like

This is being worked on: 487043 – Extreme stutters/hangs when using certain desktop effects when "~/.cache" is on slow storage

2 Likes

There is even something suspicious in 6.0.5, widgets and apps are slow to respond compared to how they were behaving on 6.0.4.

Did 6.0.5 add anything specific to performance for intel CPUs?

1 Like

I don’t think this has anything to do with 0.4-> 0.5 as this happened before 0.4 already.

I don’t remember any regressions from 0.4 to 0.5 (then again, I don’t know everything, I am just a user). I know triple buffer causes some issues for people, but I don’t think this was backported to 0.5?

Probably best to track this in another post.

1 Like

Add a line like this to your /etc/fstab

tmpfs  /home/rodrigo/.cache  tmpfs  size=4G,noatime,nodev,nosuid  0  0

Note that the path is for my user’s home folder. You should change to yours.

Also, 4G is the max size, it isn’t reserved upfront. I never had it larger than 2GB.

Between reboots, the only thing I notice is that some apps don’t remember their window position.

Most browsers save their cache in their profile folder, so browser cache, at least, is safe between reboots.

3 Likes

Could someone explain why a window manager needs an on-disk (persistent) cache in the first place?

1 Like

Most likely the QML cache, where plenty of kwin effects that were in C++ are ported to QML.

TBH I doubt it’s a good idea to run all these QML / js inside a window manager.

3 Likes

So basically we need to ensure that QML Engine in KWin does not reload the sources. I wonder why does it do that in the first place? Maybe KWin creates a new Engine every time?

1 Like

This seems to be already fixed (bug report is closed) with core: Disable Qt RHI pipeline cache (!5802) · Merge requests · Plasma / KWin · GitLab

2 Likes

well, that was quick! and somewhat deeper that I imagined it to be.

1 Like