Cannot Open KDE Neon OS on Dell XPS 15 Laptop

Hi! I am a very, very new linux user who just recently made the switch to KDE Neon on a Dell XPS 15 laptop. The installation went seemingly fine, and I was using firefox for web browsing for a few days. Today, I finally deciding to install some other applications through synaptic. When I did, I noticed that none of my applications (stellarium, discover, etc.) would launch, so I decided to put my computer to sleep and troubleshoot the problem later. When I awakened my computer from sleep, I was confronted with the message stating “The screen locker is broken and updating is not possible anymore. In order to unlock it, switch to a virtual terimnal (eg Ctrl+Alt+F2), log in to your account and execute the command: loginctl unlock-session 7 Then log out of the virual sesion…” It seems to be a pretty common error message for Neon updates, but I was unable to log into the terminal and decided to reboot my computer to work on it later. Ideally, I would want to include an image of this error, but this forum doesn’t allow new users to display more than 1 image per post.

After rebooting, I cannot open any aspect of the software (Rebooting again does not solve the issue). Whenever I click the boot option for KDE Neon in the GNU, I am confronted with white text on a black screen displaying messages that lead to a failed reboot. Since nothing is able to boot, I am stuck and cannot enter the operaing system. The white text which prevents proper bootup are listed below.
"
psmouse serio1: elantech: elantech_send_cmd query 0x02 failed.
psmouse serio1: elantech: failed to query capabilities.
ACPI BIOS error (bug): Could not resolve symbol [.TZ.ETMD], AE_NOT_FOUND (20220331/psargs-330)
ACPI Error: Aborting method _SB.IETM._OSC due to previous error (AE_NOT_FOUND) (20220331/psparse-529)
"
followed by a bunch of bluetooth failed commands. An image of these commands is shown below.

Nothing boots up, and, as I am quite new to Linux, I have no idea how to even begin fixing this problem. I am quite confused because this is almost a vanilla install of KDE Neon, yet somehow the entire OS is corrupted in a horrible way. Is there a way to fix this problem, or is KDE Neon permamently misconfigured on my computer? If it is, I probably will have to leave this distribution, as it seems to break way too easily.

Any and all help will be appreciated! I cannot access any part of the software and am currently limited to the GNU menu system. If you provide directions, please include it in a way that someone very unfamiliar with linux can understand. Thank you!

Was in similar situation just two weeks ago. In my case installed KMyMoney, which also installed some other require libraries (though didn’t try to run it). Later when locking the computer received the Screen Locker is Broken message. Had some other pending updates, so proceeded to install those. Was taking a really long time to install these. It was an old computer (FX-6300) which has a problem that if it runs to hot for to long, it shuts off. Well, that happened during updating. Upon reboot received kernel panic. Was unable to fix this and had to resort to reinstalling (the latest Neon).

Fortunately had my /home directory on a separate partition, so just needed to reinstall, then install the other software in use (had a list), and then switch it to use the separate /home partition (this could be done automatically during the install, but didn’t want it messing up my configuration during the install).

I’ve had various other problems upgrading recently on different computers and also had to resort to reinstalling. On one of these (after a failed update from 18.04 to 20.04), there was no separate home partition. First copied the home directory to another drive, removed the home directory, shrank the root partition (from 240GB to 60GB, though 40GB is probably sufficient), created a new 180GB partition after the root partition and copied the contents of the backup home directory to this new partition. Then proceeded with reinstalling.