Can't load KDE wayland session

Following trying to set-up a display configuration, I am unable to load my usual desktop environment when logging into a wayland session (X11 still works fine). The session seems to load some of my apps (ie firefox, dolphin, konsole) but I can’t get it to load the display settings. The session is also not loading the taskbar, kmenu or desktop icons or background image.

using kscreen-doctor in the broken wayland session doesn’t seem to do anything.

I have other user accounts and they load into wayland sessions fine. Is there any way to reset the wayland display settings or copy across a good config from another user account?

I would try to remove (but keep) some files from the ~/.config folder - specifically:

  • plasmarc
  • plasmashellrc
  • plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc
  • plasmawindowedrc

See if that solve it.

If it doesn’t - can you please share your system information, from Info Center → Copy Details?

It recreated them and reset my panel layout and background in X11, but wayland session is still broken.

Operating System: Solus 4.6
KDE Plasma Version: 6.2.3
KDE Frameworks Version: 6.7.0
Qt Version: 6.7.3
Kernel Version: 6.11.7-308.current (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-8665U CPU @ 1.90GHz
Memory: 31.2 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® UHD Graphics 620
Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Product Name: Latitude 7400

When trying to open systemsettings from terminal, I’m getting:

Failed to load vulkan: Cannot load library vulkan: vulkan: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I can’t figure out why is it only affecting this one user account?!

Because the setting to use Vulkan is user-specific. You must have turned it on in your primary user account. I’d recommend logging into the X11 session turning it off. It’s still experimental at this point.

How exactly do I do that? I didn’t switch it on to begin with! I was trying to get a HDMI screen working.

Just posting to say how I solved this problem.

kcmshell6 qtquicksettings

Rendering Backend somehow got set to vulkan, I put both to Automatic and cleared the check mark from GL Core Profile.