Change graphic tablet orientation in Wayland

I’m currently trying to move into Plasma Wayland but I’m facing an issue with my Huion 1060P tablet.

I have my tablet rotated since I’m left handed, going into the Drawing Tablet preferences I have the Orientation and Left-handed mode options disabled.

I’m using Arch Linux and I have these packages installed that work on X11:
kcm-wacomtablet
digimend-kernel-drivers-dkms-git (AUR)
libwacom
xf86-input-wacom

I also have libinput installed

1 Like

Please show the output of running sudo libinput list-devices.

Most likely the answer is going to be that libinput reports that lefthand mode and orientation are not supported for the tablet

Seems that the Left-handed mode is disabled on the Pad, is there any way to force it?

event8  - HID 256c:006e Touch Strip: libinput bug: missing tablet capabilities: pen btn-stylus resolution. Ignoring this device.
event9  - HID 256c:006e Dial: libinput bug: missing tablet capabilities: pen btn-stylus resolution. Ignoring this device.

Device:           HID 256c:006e
Kernel:           /dev/input/event6
Group:            5
Seat:             seat0, default
Size:             254x159mm
Capabilities:     tablet
Tap-to-click:     n/a
Tap-and-drag:     n/a
Tap drag lock:    n/a
Left-handed:      n/a
Nat.scrolling:    n/a
Middle emulation: n/a
Calibration:      n/a
Scroll methods:   none
Click methods:    none
Disable-w-typing: n/a
Disable-w-trackpointing: n/a
Accel profiles:   none
Rotation:         n/a

Device:           HID 256c:006e Pad
Kernel:           /dev/input/event7
Group:            5
Seat:             seat0, default
Capabilities:     tablet-pad
Tap-to-click:     n/a
Tap-and-drag:     n/a
Tap drag lock:    n/a
Left-handed:      disabled
Nat.scrolling:    n/a
Middle emulation: n/a
Calibration:      n/a
Scroll methods:   none
Click methods:    none
Disable-w-typing: n/a
Disable-w-trackpointing: n/a
Accel profiles:   n/a
Rotation:         n/a
Pad:
	Rings:   0
	Strips:  0
	Buttons: 12
	Mode groups: 1 (1 modes)

hmm, interesting.

From libinput’s point of view tablets are split into two logical entities. The tablet tool/stylus and the tablet pad (buttons, dials, etc).

For your tablet tool libinput reports “Left-handed: n/a”, i.e. left-hand mode is not available.

For your tablet pad it reports “Left-handed: disabled”, i.e. it is supported but off by default.

I’m not sure where that difference comes from since as far as I can tell both use the same code to get that information: src/evdev.c · main · libinput / libinput · GitLab

It works by querying libwacom (which despite the name also works with non-wacom tablets), which is basically a database of tablet descriptions. The relevant data for your tablet seems to be https://github.com/linuxwacom/libwacom/blob/master/data/huion-new-1060-plus.tablet, where it is marked as reversible.

The configuration UI in systemsettings only shows the “left-handed mode” UI for tablet tools, not pads (not sure why).

You could run qdbus org.kde.KWin /org/kde/KWin/InputDevice/event7 org.kde.KWin.InputDevice.leftHanded true and see if that changes the behavior of the buttons. Note that libinput list-devices will still show disabled for the left-hand mode since that only shows the default configuration, not the current one

1 Like

I think I know why the detection for the stylus is different. See Possibly broken/missing identification of Huion 1060P · Issue #397 · linuxwacom/input-wacom · GitHub

I tried uninstalling digimend-kernel-drivers-dkms-git and that solved the problem on Wayland, but unfortunately I can’t configure the tablet on X11 without this driver.

Thanks a lot for the help!

Regarding the two logical entities, I don’t have any problem, but if you find it wrong, I hope the input-wacom developers fix it. I’ll keep an eye to the issue you opened.

Having two separate things there is fine/expected