Customisation of Dolphin

Occasionally it’s useful to open Dolphin as a root user but I would like to change the visuals to make sure it looks nothing like the regular version.

There are no settings for font choices (style/colour/size), nor settings for panel colours. etc. I presume regular dolphin picks up whatever KDE Plasma theme is in play for my account but if I open Dolphin as root say, I want some control over making it distinct from the regular version!

Where are the config files that I can edit and is there a URL for the config documentation.

Would it work for me to log in as root to plasma, assign the theme I want there and see it picked up by Dolphin when I log back in as me but open Dolphin as root?

1 Like

i would go to the app launcher and edit applications

find dolphin and make a copy called dolroot or something then always use that for root work

you will probably be limited to whatever customization are within the dolphin app itself tho, bc when you apply themes etc they will apply to all apps.

i think you can have different themes in different activities, so you might consider looking into that.

btw, i’m sure you’ve seen the warning that it’s not advisable to run dolphin as root for obvious reasons.

1 Like

I’ll probably get in trouble for this.

Of course, Plasma will not allow you to login as root.

On a clean install with no apps (live cd?), I set my theme and colors and everything just the way I wanted. I went with Dark, so root was showing as white and the text was invisible. Then once I had everything the way I wanted, I set the Accent Color to a Red that fit well with my user theme. I copied the whole ~/.config over to /root/.config and saved it and can put that on my PC whenever I need it. The only difference between the two is the accent color.

Of course openSUSE gives us a root dolphin. Much to the chagrin of other distros. It is simply a special .desktop file.

Someone else could tell you just what folders you need. I just grabbed them all since it was a clean install and it wasn’t large. I also find some things like a root set of .bashrc and other things like that to be quite handy with running as su -.

Don’t run it as root. You need kio-admin and this:

2 Likes

Never knew about it but thought I would check it out. Hopefully you never want to cancel the decision to open as administrator as the dialog will never go away unless the password is entered clicking cancel does nothing but give the dialog once more looking for password. And just for the hell of it I tried again with incorrect password the same stellar performance of a non closable window unless the correct password is entered. I will stick with the Terminal I always have open for things like that.

1 Like

the dialog will never go away unless the password is entered

I already have a working fix for this, I just need to find the time to clean it up and get it merged.

3 Likes

I would like to change the visuals to make sure it looks nothing like the regular version.

I plan on working on this as well (but for the more safe/secure kio-admin software that @jinliu mentioned). I am not quite sure yet though how an admin folder view should be styled. Potentially there should be a banner at the top similar to the “selection mode” banner that shows up after pressing the Space button. I would be interested in any ideas regarding this, but I will probably talk this through with the visual design group in any case at some point.

3 Likes

I looked and kio-admin is nowhere to be found in the openSUSE repos.

I do understand why there is no color configs for it in /root, because if you had a multi-user system and some people had dark themes and some light themes, it would be very difficult to use when you can’t read the folder names and such. :grinning:

I’m not a coder, but I am thinking that when administrator is called, it would need to pull the theme/colors/accent color from $user and just use a contrasting accent color. Maybe the opposite color on the color wheel (same palate)? Just guessing.

I know everyone gets angry about Suse users running Dolphin as root. BUT, I remember when KDE took away the ability to login to root and the ability to open files as root in Dolphin. There was a revolt in the openSUSE forums. It was UGLY. If you had been there, you would not have forgotten it either. :rofl:

This was back in the days when everyone would tell you, “Nobody does KDE like openSUSE does KDE.” They were one of the big dogs. Red Hat did Gnome and SUSE did KDE.

It’s in the KDE:Extra repository for Tumbleweed and, there’s a Bug Report detailing why it’s not available for the Leap repositories …

3 Likes

the dialog will never go away unless the password is entered

I already have a working fix for this, I just need to find the time to clean it up and get it merged.

I cleaned it up now and am awaiting review: Avoid redundant password prompts (!14) · Merge requests · System / KIO Admin Worker · GitLab

I’m not a coder, but I am thinking that when administrator is called, it would need to pull the theme/colors/accent color from $user and just use a contrasting accent color. Maybe the opposite color on the color wheel (same palate)? Just guessing.

Colour themes typically have an explicit warning/danger colour. Using that would probably be better than deriving a custom colour. I wonder if users would be happy about all their folder icons turning e.g. red.

This was the first question I asked on this forum a long while ago.

As stated above, change the coloring for root, just save the configs in /root, use “open as root” and profit from having edited your colors or theme to something obnoxious you will not miss.

For me it is simple, I did not have to do anything for the root user.
My installation came with a light color scheme, so I changed my user to darkmode (that I want anyway) and that means whenever I use “open as root” the coloring is in light and pretty hard to miss.

In the end I found that if I logged out, then logged in as root and set a theme (that looked different from my regular account’s theme) and then logged out of root and back in as me, Dolphin-SU picked up the new theme. Which is what I needed.

It’s rare that I need it, but sometimes it’s a quick way to get results! Peace :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m a UX designer, if you want to chat it through with me

Thank you for the offer! I am not yet working on this currently though. I hope you also understand that I would rather discuss this with the designers who have been regular contributors within KDE. I have seen their work in the past and have met some of them in person even, so it is easier for me to communicate with them and I have a better understanding where they are coming from in their design process.

If you are interested in contributing as a designer, you might want to check out Get Involved/design - KDE Community Wiki.

I’m

I’m old and can remember when the wall paper changed to a bunch of bombs to signify when root was being used. We didn’t have sudo then, we had to su.