Desktop taskbar moves up after waking from sleep in KDE Plasma 6

Dear KDE comunity,

When I wake up my system from sleep, the taskbar moves up right after I open an app (e.g. Google Chrome). On top of that, the notifications appear in the middle (please see the screenshot attached below). Weirdly enough, this only happens when I leave the computer and it switches itself into the sleeping mode on its own. When I do that manually myself, nothing like this happens (however, I do get a notfication from KWin Window Manager in both cases saying “Desktop effects were restarted due to a graphics reset” - not sure if these are related, though).

Does anyone know whats going on? Is this a bug?

Many thanks for your help!

1 Like

Hi, thanks for posting and welcome to the community. Are you saying that your taskbar (or “panel”, in KDE-speak) is first aligned to the bottom of your screen and after waking up, it’s now aligned to the top like in your screenshot? That does sound like a bug to me.

I don’t know much about the internals of desktop & panel layouts, but it’s unexpected enough that I would encourage you to file a bug on bugs.kde.org, for the plasmashell product most likely. It might have to do with your display not being accessible to Plasma for a while, so be sure to include information about your display/monitor setup when describing the issue. It will also help to break down the steps and behaviors into (numbered) bullet point lists, to make it easier for developers and testers to understand and reproduce the issue.

Good luck, I hope it can be figured out :+1:

it’s helpful if you share your system info by copying it and pasting it here

click on the desktop and type “info”, then go to the settings page that comes up in the search results.

there is a button with copy to clipboard you can use to capture that info and share it.

Hi,

thank you for your reply.

I attach my system info:

Operating System: Arch Linux 
KDE Plasma Version: 6.0.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 6.1.0
Qt Version: 6.7.0
Kernel Version: 6.8.9-arch1-1 (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-9700F CPU @ 3.00GHz
Memory: 15.6 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070/PCIe/SSE2
Manufacturer: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
Product Name: MS-7C67
System Version: 1.0

The thing with notifications is 481736 – On X11, Notifications pop up in the middle of the screen after being away from pc for a while. Maybe somehow this is related to the panel issue too?

1 Like

Hi,

yes. I believe it’s related to this. I was actually able to reproduce this bug by just turning my monitor off and on. So it happens every time the communication between my screen and the GPU is lost.

Is anyone working on this? Would submitting any logs make this faster? Thanks.

I am getting this same issue. After my monitor goes to sleep, my task manager moves to the top of the screen when I go to move or open an app.

If I go into Edit mode, the option to move it to the bottom is not there cause it still thinks it is at the bottom. Switching it to any position will allow the bottom option to show again.

The notifications pop-up is also appearing in the middle of my screen. I think I may have fixed this by going into System settings and telling it to always appear in the bottom right.

Operating System: Manjaro Linux 
KDE Plasma Version: 6.0.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 6.1.0
Qt Version: 6.7.0
Kernel Version: 6.6.30-2-MANJARO (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 16 × Intel® Core™ i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz
Memory: 31.3 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
Manufacturer: ASUS