digiKam filled my Google Drive

I’ve started to use digiKam the last week, and I do like it. It has good support for metadata and duplicate search, better than I hoped.

On the other hand, the last couple of days, I was playing with the face tagging, and tagging faces of some known people in a few hundred of my thousands of images.

Yesterday evening I started a job which was supposed to sync this metadata from the database to the jpg:s themselves. It seems to have worked, but to my surprise my Google Drive has increased in size about 50GB (to 200GB), and is now completely full, so in a while I can no longer send emails.

How could this happen?

I have checked a few updated directories, and did not see any evidence of it creating duplicate (backup) images or something like that.

There must be some magic I dont understand…

This happend to me.

Digikam changes the date of change when the metadata is edited. For Google with new metadata or a new date of change the picture is considered a new picture.
So each time you edit a picture with digikam, in your case adding a face tag and writing that in the metadata, google sync will ad a duplicate.

Only Solution i could find was to delete all Fotos from my Google Fotos, and then reupload all of them.

Then, for the future, you have to untick the box in the metadata settings where it says update “date of change” after editing metadata

1 Like