Discover Software Center always downgrading

Hello!

Is there a way to set Discover Software Center on my Steam Deck to always upgrade versions rather than always downgrade them? As you can see on the screenshot below, it downgrades Podman Desktop from 1.6.3 to 1.5.3 and it also downgrades Firefox from 121.0 to 120.0.1. All I did was clicking “Update available” notification pop-up.

how did you install those apps?

which package manager are you using?

1 Like

Like @skyfishgoo, I would say these are coming from different repos and Discover doesn’t understand what your package manager already did, so it is undoing it.

I don’t use any package manager. System image partition is read-only on Steam Deck (Steam OS). I can only install flatpaks using Discover Software Manager. I can see in its settings that it uses dl.flathub.org as the flatpaks source.

Turns out after “downgrading” all flatpaks are in their latest versions. I think it’s just the arrow pointing in a wrong direction. So it shows 1.6.3 → 1.5.3 but what it’s really doing is 1.5.3 → 1.6.3.

Very confusing.

2 Likes

I would find that confusing too.

1 Like

It’s not actually downgrading them; rather this is a a display bug in Discover where the “before” and “after” versions are reversed in the UI.

This bug was fixed months ago for Plasma 5.27.6; see 448521 – 'Update' page shows the version of the flatpak currently installed instead of the version of the update available. Is your Steam Deck using an older version of Plasma?

1 Like

I’m on the latest SteamOS 3.5.13 (Preview channel) and the KDE Plasma Version is 5.27.5. I guess I just have to wait until Valve bumps the version.

Thanks!

This kind of thing may be worthy of a PSA/FYI/pinned thing at some point, given the popularity of the Steam Deck, how KDE promotes its usage of Plasma, and given the common talking points that SteamOS is “Arch-based” and “uses Wayland”… SteamOS has a year-old kernel minor version, and its Desktop Mode using an 8-month-old version of Plasma running in X11. It’s a cool device, but it is not an up-to-date “Desktop Linux” experience.

My stable channel Steam Deck’s About page (checked for updates today) for reference:

Operating System: SteamOS 3.5.7
KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.107.0
Qt Version: 5.15.9
Kernel Version: 6.1.52-valve9-1-neptune-61 (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 8 × AMD Custom APU 0405
Memory: 14.5 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: AMD Custom GPU 0405
Manufacturer: Valve
Product Name: Jupiter
System Version: 1