Does Wayland really break everything?

Microsoft themselves have publicly admitted that, “Edge” is a Chromium based browser … :smiling_imp:

" I think the official release of Plasma 6.0 or 6.1 would be a good time to do so.
At least I will (again) as one can easily switch back to X11 when something is too annoying. :wink:
Thanks to all KDE devs for further supporting X11, btw!"

Yes quite possibly the idea, I avoid .0 releases like the plague so probably the 6.1, though who knows I have spare machine and all I have to loose is the time doing the testing so probably will give it a whirl. As long as they have solved the monitor lottery, the vlc not playing videos and I can get my mouse buttons working like I like them as I have now with xdotool, I could use it. I am not interested in regression that take away already existing functionality though.

Edit: More than one way to skin a cat as they say around here.

" Microsoft themselves have publicly admitted that, “Edge” is a Chromium based browser … :smiling_imp:"

Then I obviously am using one without knowing it…

1 Like

It wasn’t always the case, it was originally based on their own browser engine, but they started plans to rebase it on Chromium in 2018, with the first non-beta release in January 2020

“It wasn’t always the case, it was originally based on their own browser engine, but they started plans to rebase it on Chromium in 2018, with the first non-beta release in January 2020”

Ah there we are, now I think about it more that was in the back of my mind somewhere with all the other accumulated junk. That they were using Google source for their browser too.

Edit: And of course the quote works now just by replying to your post, without selecting that option to quote, gotta love computers…

Input is still a huge issue on Wayland.

Input Leap (fork of Barrier, fork of Synergy) is still waiting on upstream support from the InputCapture Portal. This is critical for me as I daily depend on mouse and keyboard sharing when I work from home.

Another friend of mine faced tons of confusion and headaches when his Panasonic toughbook with KDE became difficult to understand why his stylus, and on screen keyboard did not work as expected when undocked and in tablet mode, despite Ubuntu working out of the box.

There are probably dozens of examples of things that just barely worked on X11 that no longer work for Wayland and it will take years of people reporting them and hunting them down one at a time, with the takeaway experience being “Linux is so complicated and nothing just works.”

1 Like

Could you tell me, if say plasma 6 has wayland how would I need to update the arch linux on which plasma 5 and X is running?
That would cause a lot of problems, right?

What? I don’t understand what you mean…

You update like normal with pacman. Then you can choose in SDDM if you want to launch a wayland or xorg session. Same as in Plasma 5.

It’s good. You never know, half the system will break down as usual or something like that.

You can use pacman to install the Wayland session via sudo pacman -Syu plasma-wayland-session if it is not already installed. This will put the wayland session in a drop down list from your display manager sddm. Right now plasma 6 is not in the Arch repos. You do not have to wait for plasma 6 though to test the Wayland session for plasma. Just know there will be updates in 6 not present in 5.

The experience with graphical environments is entirely subjective and depends, above all, on the applications that the user uses on a regular basis. I am an advanced user, who uses the desktop both in corporate networks for application programming and on a personal level for multimedia (video editing, audio manipulation) and gaming. From that experience, I can say a few things for sure: KDE Plasma has been able to catch up with Wayland and, although there are still things to be solved, there were also problems with X11 that have not been solved after more than 6 years. Security is important to me, and a priority, so of course, my money is on Wayland. But also, the performance improvements can be seen by anyone. FPS increases, even if only slightly, but it’s already an interesting improvement to say the least.

For those users who only use Linux for web browsing, watching movies or listening to music, they won’t care if they use X11 or Wayland.

I don’t see that you mention a problem in addition to remembering the position of the windows. In X11, when you drag an item between windows, the context menu that appears when you drop the item (“Move, Copy, Link, Cancel”) appears correctly in the window where you drop the item. In Wayland does not appear correctly in the window where the item was dragged, but appears in the window from which it was dragged. It is something very uncomfortable that I hope they will fix.

My main issue with wayland is the mouse cursor’s delayed responsiveness to mouse movements. It feels like when i move the mouse the cursor moves rather slowly on screen, it feels like it has a different refresh rate than the monitor’s 60hz refresh rate so it feels like the cursor is frame skipping. It is hard to tell really, you gotta feel it to understand. Hopefuly i am not the only one having this issue (which is the only reason i am still on X11) and somebody is looking into this.

There also is the youtube frame skip issue in our use case (us means who are on RPI-5). Wayland solves screen tearing for the desktop on a RPI but it somehow limits the fps/refresh rate on screen to do this i reckon so youtube videos for example can not play 60fps even when it is possible to do so on X11.

Other than these, KDE Plasma on a Raspberry Pi-5 is absolutely awesome.

I think this is already fixed. Not sure if this is Plasma 6 only.

There is currently work being done improve KWin on weak hardware.
One is Tripplebuffering: Draft: backends/drm: allow having two frames in flight ("triple buffering") (!4833) · Merge requests · Plasma / KWin · GitLab
The other I forgot, but there is either a merge request or it is already merged.

Yep, those cursor slowness issues should be fixed in Plasma 6. There’s also another subtle source of this issue that actually comes from the Libinput input driver at times: sometimes it introduces its own hysteresis which makes the cursor feel slow. I haven’t managed to figure out the trigger that reliably makes it happen.

That is great news. I love KDE, my favorite desktop environment since the first day i’ve seen it. Wasn’t very feasible in Pi-4, but it works perfectly on Pi-5. The only issue i fear is that as the Plasma 6 will be released on February, we don’t know when the debian repositories will include those packages. How often do they update kde packages? Will it be possible to do a “forced update”? There are some other distros that can be used with KDE on Pi-5, Manjaro for example. Maybe they can update earlier. Or better idea, if KDE-Neon can have a Pi-5 iteration that would be awesome :slight_smile:

Not that often and the Pi people are even slower, Bookwom was released last year. The Pi people are just getting around to doing their release in the last little bit of time now. For Debian next year and the Trixie release, I think it will be called, will be the first opportunity for those running the stable distribution to get Plasma 6. Once the 6 is released eventually it will get into the testing branch but they are slow at getting this done. Always have been and once released in stable good luck getting any updates to it. Their politics has chased out the only developer they had who cared about KDE being up to date by putting out backports of the newer software built for stable. As you have alluded to other distributions that have a rolling release schedule will be the first to get it in their Pi offerings.

It was Firebird and maybe Phoenix before that. I loved it up until 4.0 when their apparent motto became “If it ain’t broke, fix it until it is.” I left almost completely at 60 (Quantum) which broke all the extensions I relied upon.

I work on support for the AutoKey project. It is currently X11 only. We have an alpha version using uinput which provides some of our basic functionality, but is missing things like window filters which allow the user to specify a pattern that must match the current window’s title or class for an action to be enabled.

There’s no way of knowing how many active users we have, but I’d guess there are quite a few.

If anyone has any input/guidance on getting it to work fully on Wayland, it would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

"It was Firebird and maybe Phoenix before that. "

It was both I just seen it tonight in another thread discussing Firefox, they changed the name to avoid conflict with the database of the name Firebird. Regardless I have been using it since the beginning when first forked from the Netscape code all them years ago. Which I had used up until they gave it up back then.

1 Like